Brick Rocket Stove

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have any of you built, or seen built, a sixteen-brick rocket stove? I've inserted a photo down below.

I'm thinking about cooking options for when the power goes off. I have an all-electric home and my only other cooking options require propane bottles. I'm guessing that propane bottles would disappear quickly in a national emergency. So, even though I might lose electricity and propane, I will definately have wood. I've got lots of trees.

So, I'm toying around with wood-fired cooking options. At first, I was looking at multi-fuel cooking stoves (like the Volcano), but then stumbled onto the 16-brick rocket stove. Basically, it's a wood-fired stove made from sixteen bricks. There are tons of different rocket stove designs out there and some are very exotic. But the simplicity of a little sixteen stacked brick stove is pretty attractive. With a little stack of bricks and some sticks, one would have a pretty efficient, highly portable wood stove. (Much more efficient than the traditional rock cooking/fire ring.)

Any experience in building these? I'm wondering about the kind of bricks that would work. I've read that adobe bricks work the best. I don't know if the typical hollow construction brick would work. Would a landscaping brick/paver work in that kind of heat? This little stoves produce a ton of heat.

16-brick-rocket-stove.jpg

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure any type of bricks would work just fine. It's not going to be so hot to bust the bricks. I've made rocket stoves out of assorted bricks I had laying around the yard before. Worked great.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a pinch, which is what you are looking at this for, any bricks will work. If you think this would need to be long term go and buy 16 clay bricks and keep them in a small stack in the corner of the yard or next to the house. For just in case.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've salvaged a washing machine tub 20 years ago that I set on 3 bricks and use for some camping and back yard wennie roast with the grand kids. Really pretty at night what with all the drain holes that allows the fire light to flicker through. I enlarged a few holes to accept a couple pieces of rebar which allows several different levels of heating and of course an old grill as needed. While not a rocket it is portable, last a long time and does a stellar job at zero cost and dumping ash is accomplished by inserting rebar and carrying to dump site cooling down in about 30 minutes. Get an old washing machine and a big damn hammer and knock the hell outta the plastic adgator then unscrew nut that holds tub on. Ah, rocket science at its best.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I visited with a lady who built a rocket stove and heats her 2000 sq ft house with it. I was really, really intrigued as it sounded like she put a lot of thought and effort into making it asthetically pleasing, as well as efficient and safe.

I'm thinking about trying this in the backyard and trying a little cooking outside. Just so I can say I have done it.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a video of Dr. Larry Winiarski building one. This gentleman travels the world, teaching third world communities how to build simple stoves. It's an amazing design. They smoke very little and produce a ton of very focused heat. I've seen improvements on this design. The most efficient ones have a little shelf in the "fuel hole" so that sticks don't block the incoming airflow. The sticks are on top of the little shelf and air flows underneath. Hard to explain.

[video=youtube_share;XSMR2ANIZ7E]http://youtu.be/XSMR2ANIZ7E[/video]

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, it wouldn't be that hard to do in a fireplace. Seems like that could increase the warmth in the house and decrease the amount of woof you would have to use. I'm gonna have to do some serious reading.

(BTW, EdmondMember, it's things like this that make my notebook a neverending list of things to do or things accomplished.)

ETA: not "woof" ... "wood" ... can you tell I was doing some reading about clicker training last night?? LOL

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, it wouldn't be that hard to do in a fireplace. Seems like that could increase the warmth in the house and decrease the amount of woof you would have to use. I'm gonna have to do some serious reading.

(BTW, EdmondMember, it's things like this that make my notebook a neverending list of things to do or things accomplished.)

Here's a link to some interesting rocket stove mass heater designs, http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp.

Redriverboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made two side by side. since the grate i found was rather long. and made some breakfast we thought it turned out great considering we just used regular 3 hole red bricks we had laying around built all the way up to 28 brick 20 : the best results imho but maybe if mortered or sealed in a some way the heat would be trapped and make more bricks more efficient? just a logical guess? im by no means a superadiothermo(insert crazy degree here)ologist i was merely smoking my mornin cigarette and bam a pile a bricks by the porch. so i thought why not just save a bit on the gas bill this month lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom