Broken Mossberg 500 safety switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Flame Retardant ON)

I will be surprised if you do not get stellar service from Mossberg regarding this. I have had occasion to deal with them many times over the last 25 years or so. I personally regard Mossberg 500 shotguns over every other make of slide action. Bar none.
Agreed. Their customer service has been top-notch for me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several myself. They sent me metal ones for all mine.

Excellent.

(Flame Retardant ON)

I will be surprised if you do not get stellar service from Mossberg regarding this. I have had occasion to deal with them many times over the last 25 years or so. I personally regard Mossberg 500 shotguns over every other make of slide action. Bar none.

I'm with you. We had both Rem 870 and Mossbergs in the USMC, I prefer the Mossberg as well.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang...you must like Mossbergs I guess. Please let us know if they do send you a metal replacement.

One for the house, one for the cabin, one for the truck, one for the office at my (now closed) nightclub, a couple that I bought from people who just wanted to unload them on the cheap. I guess they add up! I do have a Remington or two and I don't like them as much.

I have several myself. They sent me metal ones for all mine.

Good deal. I hinted that I'd like the metal replacement for the ones that haven't broken yet so we'll see if they bite. If not, I'll outright ask. :)

Hey Bryan,
I'm a dealer for Vang Comp, so if you want one of theirs, I'd be willing to get it to you at cost (including shipping of course).

Take Care, and good luck with the mossberg route.
Mike

I'd go this route for any working shotgun. Great product!

Thanks for the offer, Mike and the confirmation, YG. I'll look into those and see if that's something I would like to do!

(Flame Retardant ON)

Yeah, I like them better than anything else of which I have only one or two. :)

Bryan

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No worries Bryan, here to help! Also, being that you have so many 500s, you may like one day to try the Vang Comp System on one of your barrels. It makes shooting more pleasant, and tightens your groups with bird and buck shot substancially, and I can, of course, get you a discount on their services.

Take Care,
Mike

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Response from Mossberg:

Thank you for your email. Currently we consider safety parts to be restricted for sale to certified gunsmiths only, so unless you have a gunsmith certificate I cannot provide the part numbers and pricing. Although, there are retailers who sell these parts, here is a link to Brownell's where you should be ale to find what you are looking for, http://www.brownells.com/items/mossberg-safety-parts.aspx. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know.

My reply:

Including a cheaply made plastic switch that I have learned is widely known to break so much to the point that the replacement is made from metal? The advice I was given was to contact you because you will replace this part for free. I will update the internet forum that you now do not.

Mossberg response:

We do not actually offer a metal upgrade for this switch, but there are other retailers like Brownells who do offer them. The polymer that we use for these should hold up, and I have seen very few cases of them breaking unless they were dropped or banged into something.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they've been threatened with a law suit by someone that screwed up the install and blamed them!

I would ask about replacement under warranty, and let them know that this whole thing is playing out in public forum. This looks quite bad on them! In fact, tell them to google "broken Mossberg 500 safety switch"! Thanks to the forum's owner, we've got AWESOME SEO, and this thread is probably in the first 10 search results!!!

Last edited:

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm probably going to just leave the safety off of it unless I can find one for like $10 or less. (Maybe a parts guy at a gun show will have one.) It works fine without it and my wife's preference is to not leave one in the chamber so I've always left the safety turned off anyway so it was one less thing to remember to do should the need arise.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well I guess I will not be buying a Mossberg shotgun !! Why would you make an integral part like this out of plastic in the first place. Policy or not, you do not assume the part was broken through negligence, site unseen. And if bumping into or dropping it breaks the safety , maybe they need to rethink the plastic part.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I guess I will not be buying a Mossberg shotgun !! Why would you make an integral part like this out of plastic in the first place. Policy or not, you do not assume the part was broken through negligence, site unseen. And if bumping into or dropping it breaks the safety , maybe they need to rethink the plastic part.

Yeah, I assure you I was not negligent in any way with this one. It's a gun that had literally been sitting in a closet for at least a year in a cabin that goes from super hot to super cold and back again. I'm sure that had some impact on the cheapo plastic piece, but one would assume that a gun would be built to handle the rigors of Oklahoma seasonal temperature changes. I guess not!

Latest posts

Top Bottom