Brush Hogging Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points here. But another if you cut some grasses too short all at once it kills it out. Also consider the ground nesting birds that use those places. quail and turkey numbers are way down and it's likely due in some areas to ranchers and farmers bailing grasses for hay that in years past they let grow and just grazed it. Can't blame them for needing hay but often just a few weeks or even days makes a difference in some turkey poults needing grasshoppers or quail the size of your thumbnail needing that bare ground between plants to move and feed.the very worst habitat for them is a field that looks like a lawn.
With your thoughts in mind, the state mowing the rights of way along our highways during nesting season doesn't help our bird populations.
IMHO, the ODW should coordinate with the highway department to advise them when it's a good time to start the summer mowing season.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the nesting bird issue. Not sure how I'm going to handle. I have about 6 acres of pasture on our 45 total acres. There is about another 6 acres was probably goat pasture 4-5 years ago that has grown up a fair amount. All over our south half of the property where our home and other structures are along with the aforementioned pastures we hear a ton of quails calling. All morning and in the late afternoons there are whistles everywhere. We will occasionally flush them driving on our gravel driveway that runs from Hwy 16 to about 1400' to its end.

All this being said, I may wait until later in the summer, August, to mow the rest of the pasture. Luckily from what Ive read the burn piles I made may be too dense for birds like quail. I have them stacked and pressed down pretty tight. Seems quial and pheasant see to like more loosely piled brush with more open cavities inside them. I really do need to get them burned.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the nesting bird issue. Not sure how I'm going to handle. I have about 6 acres of pasture on our 45 total acres. There is about another 6 acres was probably goat pasture 4-5 years ago that has grown up a fair amount. All over our south half of the property where our home and other structures are along with the aforementioned pastures we hear a ton of quails calling. All morning and in the late afternoons there are whistles everywhere. We will occasionally flush them driving on our gravel driveway that runs from Hwy 16 to about 1400' to its end.

All this being said, I may wait until later in the summer, August, to mow the rest of the pasture. Luckily from what Ive read the burn piles I made may be too dense for birds like quail. I have them stacked and pressed down pretty tight. Seems quial and pheasant see to like more loosely piled brush with more open cavities inside them. I really do need to get them burned.
Nesting season gets started around March. The ODW recommends burning 1/4 of a property each year in a 4 year rotation in February. By the time the eggs hatch, the burned area will be coming up with new growth and be open enough for the adults and chicks to feed easily.
They will still have cover in the thick stuff.
If you need to thin some trees, some recommend cutting the tree off just enough to make it fall over and leave it for cover. Can't remember the name they call that technique.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bush hogs aren't lawn mowers and won't cut like one. They're meant to cut weeds and underbrush along with grass. To get a smooth looking cut you'll have to do it several times, usually in different directions.
Get a better bush wacker!

My neighbor bought a new Woods brush bull brush hog years ago and I tell you that thing does a awesome job!

Not positive, but I think it has lift blades!

The ones I have dont make a pretty job, but they get the job done.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flail mower seems to do a good job on one pass, were it mine if you don't make hay work the ground and plant clover, or flowers for bees, or peas for wildlife or mow the outside and leave it for cover.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

instead of mowing why don't you just plant and restore those area to a plains grass ecosystem? plant grasses and forbs to restore a native habitat. you can then just maintain a fire break instead of having to mow the whole acreage?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
instead of mowing why don't you just plant and restore those area to a plains grass ecosystem? plant grasses and forbs to restore a native habitat. you can then just maintain a fire break instead of having to mow the whole acreage?
THe video above is actually pretty good. I have been thinking a lot about all the mowing the last month or so. You and others make great points about keeping the pastures natural, especially if I don't have a plan for them currently. I really don't have a solid plan for them currently but down the line my wife may want to get a few cattle and other critters. Would need some proper fencing done around some of the pasture though. My wife does like it mowed as it is a much prettier area when it is. I agree with her but do have reservations. My biggest hold on not mowing is my available time. I work about 14 hours per day and cherish my weekends and those don't always want to include mowing pasture. I also hear a ton of quail now and understand this is good habitat for them this time of year. I have a ton of other projects I'd rather do in the next few months so maybe the mowing will get pushed off until fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom