Buying a non-operable vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it even possible in Oklahoma? Legally that is...

They used to have a "black tag" and I'm wondering if there's a "black title". I can't find any info on either. A family member wants to buy a car and doesn't have their license so no insurance for them either.

What's the best way to buy and store it until they have license and insurance? :anyone:

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black tag (or sticker) just means no insurance. Not that is inoperable.

Just buy the vehicle, transfer title & get a black sticker,
Once you get the vehicle operational, & the owner has all their stuff in order, get the insurance & go get the normal sticker.

It's not hard to do, I've done it several times. Just need someone in your tag office competent enough to work with ya.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black tag (or sticker) just means no insurance. Not that is inoperable.

Just buy the vehicle, transfer title & get a black sticker,
Once you get the vehicle operational, & the owner has all their stuff in order, get the insurance & go get the normal sticker.

It's not hard to do, I've done it several times. Just need someone in your tag office competent enough to work with ya.
That whole insurance thing is kind of the conundrum.

ETA: You have to have that to get a title changed over.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That whole insurance thing is kind of the conundrum.

ETA: You have to have that to get a title changed over.
You don't have to have insurance to change the title. I just did that about 2 months ago. I told them I didn't have insurance and they gave me a black tag until I finish building it. Then I go back with insurance and buy a new regular sticker. I think they said the sticker is 10 or 15 bucks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to have insurance to change the title. I just did that about 2 months ago. I told them I didn't have insurance and they gave me a black tag until I finish building it. Then I go back with insurance and buy a new regular sticker. I think they said the sticker is 10 or 15 bucks.
Thanks! That's what I thought but got concerned because I could find, NOT..A..THING, about it.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A lot depends on how much or how little your tag agency knows about it. Some of them apparently aren't educated very well on the subject.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I reading this right as you have to buy license plates down there for a unused vehicle?
Yes, the registration should be kept current. You can always let it lapse and the renewal fee will continue to increase in penalty till it reaches the max amount. For vehicles that would be considered junkers no one would care, unless you wanted to put a tag on in in several years times.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always good to check on the tag/title status before you buy too, because you can get dinged pretty good if previous owners didn't keep current.

Latest posts

Top Bottom