Buying new inkjet printer, recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokechoke

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just gave up on another ink jet printer due to high costs of ink and repeated issues with using cheaper refills from Cartridge World.

I bought an HP LaserJet P1102w at Office Depot on sale for $99 and it's been the best decision I ever made in a printer. It's a B&W only and I just use it for generic printing and shipping invoices, labels, etc... but it's impressed me so far and I wouldn't hesitate to get a color version.

The nice thing is that it gives 1500 pages on a toner cartridge and I've found factory HP ones for as low as $65 and refills for as low as $26. That makes it significantly cheaper than the BS I've been putting up with on inkjets.

I'm a laser man till death now. Fast, cheap, good. It does all three better than an inkjet.

That is the exact printer I bought this summer. They are great! handy to have the printer in the office and print from anywhere in the house. +1 on not going inkjet. You basically buy the cartridge and throw the printer away.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dangit this is a lot of data to process, I thought about Laser but the color/wireless ones are a little high even though I understand the price per page is long enough, is the printer going to last long enough to realize the difference? I don't know. Thanks for the offer Jeff, but wireless is one of my requirements...Guess I have more to think about now, I wouldn't mind a Brother wireless color laser, but geez...and what is the deal with this LED printer technology? Never heard of it till I started looking yesterday...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you print that demands color? You're going to get into expensive toner cartridges if you buy a cheap end color laser too. You can get a hell of a printer if you stick with monochrome.

The one I posted uses $75 toner cartridges that yield 8000 pages. It's also wireless and easy to set up. We have it sitting in a spare bedroom with only the power cord plugged in. We print to it from any of the 4 computers in the house.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dangit this is a lot of data to process, I thought about Laser but the color/wireless ones are a little high even though I understand the price per page is long enough, is the printer going to last long enough to realize the difference? I don't know. Thanks for the offer Jeff, but wireless is one of my requirements...Guess I have more to think about now, I wouldn't mind a Brother wireless color laser, but geez...and what is the deal with this LED printer technology? Never heard of it till I started looking yesterday...

Yes, the laser printer will last long enough to make up the money on both cost per page, and cost per printer, as it will outlast many, many inkjets. You'll still be using it in 10-15 years, easily.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like I may actually just go with a mono laser printer, but the wife will want to have color so I may just get a cheap wireless inkjet printer only just for her color pages...I don't know though, going shopping after I rotate my tires, which should be fun since the dealership way over-torqued them last time I had them do it, last time I let someone else do that simple task for me, any way, thanks for the help guys...

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll still be using it in 10-15 years, easily.

This. If you keep up with the maintenance on it (which means dont kick it around the room and get legit replacement cartridges for it) it'll kick for a long time. I routinely find HP laserjets from the mid 90's in the field. I'm talking all the way back to HP LJ 4/4+/5/5+ series. Granted they take some finagling to get working with newer systems, but they still run like champions.

I've seen tons of laserjet 4000/4050/4100 in the field with well over 1 million prints on them that are kicking fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom