Cabelas Gun Purchase SNAFU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I said before, I understand why they did that. My complaint is that they don't make it clear up front that they will keep a database on you, and wont let you see it, review it, etc. And I didn't put this up her to complain; rather to let people know that who knows what they have back there on file about you beyond the ATF required files. Such as a gun registry beyond what is required? So yeah as I said, I went elsewhere, learned my lesson, and am trying to pass it on.
Yes, they maintain a "database" on you that cannot be seen, reviewed or updated. No, it's not "beyond the ATF required files." It is the ATF-required 4473 files. As for the notification--it's on the form 4473 itself. This is from page three of the Form 4473:
FORMS 4473 FOR DENIED/CANCELLED TRANSFERS MUST BE RETAINED:
If the transfer of a firearm is denied/cancelled by NICS, or if for any other reason the transfer is not completed after a NICS check is initiated, the licensee must retain the ATF Form 4473 in his/her records for at least 5 years.

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
[QUOTE="

As for the sheriff saying that the store should look up your background on OSBI, the simple answer is they can't. I find it hard to believe that the sheriff actually thinks that OSBI would allow its database to be accessed by an outside, private concern. In my quick research of obtaining background checks from the OSBI, the request must be in writing; submitted either in person, by fax, or by mail, with the results being returned in the manner submitted. There is also a mandatory $15 charge for any records check. The sheriff is an idiot if he thinks that the store--any store--would eat an expense like that to make a sale.

[/QUOTE]

The sheriff office said OSCN, not OSBI. Which didn't make sense to me, because OSCN is state records only. And one of the reasons was because it is free. Didn't seem to me that would be enough. None of this made sense to me, and it seemed like no one could give me a real answer. I learned alot from this, I've bought 10 guns since November and havent had a problem. I made a mistake, and just trying to pass on some experiences.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I see the Sheriifs Department being more "wrong" in this situation since they wouldn't print or mail you the letter. Assuming they still work for the tax paying citizens of their county...?

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't purchase firearms at Cabelas either due to the cost. What happened to you is wrong no matter how you twist words around. But I to purchase other product from them. It is over now though and everybody else knows how they work.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see the Sheriifs Department being more "wrong" in this situation since they wouldn't print or mail you the letter. Assuming they still work for the tax paying citizens of their county...?

^^This. Plus they suggested looking up your criminal history on an Oklahoma-only database. They’re the ones to be upset at.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the sheriff saying that the store should look up your background on OSBI, the simple answer is they can't. I find it hard to believe that the sheriff actually thinks that OSBI would allow its database to be accessed by an outside, private concern. In my quick research of obtaining background checks from the OSBI, the request must be in writing; submitted either in person, by fax, or by mail, with the results being returned in the manner submitted. There is also a mandatory $15 charge for any records check. The sheriff is an idiot if he thinks that the store--any store--would eat an expense like that to make a sale.
This. I've ordered more background checks than I care to count (for professional reasons), and if I do it by fax, I can usually get it back inside of an hour. Quicker, if I go up to OSBI HQ and request it in person, but the drive time usually eats the difference.

The sheriff office said OSCN, not OSBI. Which didn't make sense to me, because OSCN is state records only. And one of the reasons was because it is free. Didn't seem to me that would be enough. None of this made sense to me, and it seemed like no one could give me a real answer. I learned alot from this, I've bought 10 guns since November and havent had a problem. I made a mistake, and just trying to pass on some experiences.
Not even all state records, just courts of record (state district courts and above), and until just recently, not even all counties (in fact, until recently, considerably fewer than half). And OSCN states very clearly, at the top of every case record, that
The information on this page is NOT an official record. Do not rely on the correctness or completeness of this information. Verify all information with the official record keeper. The information contained in this report is provided in compliance with the Oklahoma Open Records Act, 51 O.S. 24A.1. Use of this information is governed by this act, as well as other applicable state and federal laws.​

Not to mention that anybody with a basic working knowledge of HTML could trivially whip up a page that looks like a results page from OSCN, but has been edited to remove entries.

Get the OSBI background check if you need one.

Last edited:

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score

I didn't say the sheriff office "wouldn't", they said there was no need for it, as in it was unnecessary to clear up the issue. The reason that I didn't have them go ahead and do was I went in on a Sunday, and they only run background checks Monday through Friday. I have never had to do a background check, so I was unfamiliar with how it went, and happened to be right by the office on a Sunday afternoon. And then on Monday I had another agency tell me the same thing? It was all very frustrating; had Cabela's told me the first time around it was a store policy, not a formal law procedure, I might have gotten the OSBI check.

I've bought at least 10 guns in the past 6 months, but I'm no expert on the background check rules. Never had a problem, as I've never even been arrested. But I made a mistake and tried to pass along the experience.

The major differences in how to rectify the situation is one my 2 main points for this post-on one hand I have the store telling this is what you must do, then I go to do that and law agencies say no, that is not necessary.

In the end, I learned that if I want hassle free just buy them out the backseat of a car in a dark parking lot off of Armslist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom