Straw purchase question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I was in at academy earlier today and was trying to buy a handgun. Did my background check and the whole nine yards. When I was doing my paperwork this young salesman kept asking me questions like, is this going to be yours or are you trying to buy it for someone else and of course I said no. Then he asked me if I was buying it for my wife, I stopped him right there and said, I am allowed to do that aren’t I? He then said yes. Ok, when I went to pay for it I was using my wife’s academy card which he then said I wasn’t allowed to use this card with out her being there. Ok fine. So I called my wife gave her the card, she went back in to try to buy the same gun and he said no because it would’ve been a straw purchase. What the heck? I mean it’s no big deal either way, just curious
If purchasing a firearm with a credit card, name on card must match the 4473. Turned away a few buyers when I worked at sportsman warehouse for this reason. Her returning to buy the same firearm in her name would also be a no sale, your name and address is already attached to that guns serial number. Could have been legal but store did not want the possible state/federal hassle.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I got my own version of a "straw purchase" to avoid government and corporate infringement. First you go out and eat some greasy BBQ. Then to the big box stores to look for the guns you want. After you find one you like; start looking for it on the private market. If that doesn't work I order it off Bobs online and use the most local hole in the wall FFL I know to complete my purchase.
This not only makes me happy but flips the figurative bird to all the hair legged part time women of the world :)
Bobs?

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loose lips sink ships. I've bought countless guns without a hitch. Don''t run your mouth about ANYTHING, don't ask questions. Just fill out the form, get your gun, go home. Getting red flagged just once can screw you forever. My bro-in-law made the mistake of checking the Native American AND White boxes. The feds made him wait 3 days. No big deal right? WRONG! Now EVERY TIME he buys a gun he has to wait 3 DAYS!

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with those "Big Box" stores is that most of the people there don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. Had a dude at one of them threaten to call the cops on me after I bought a pistol and asked the manager if I could try out some holsters at the counter. I had tried a couple when this counter guy came over yelling "That's Brandishing a firearm" despite the fact that the manager was standing right there and said it would be fine. Made the decision that day that I would absolutely only buy from the local shops.
Yeah that is ridiculous...I have had them pull out display guns several times to see if certain holsters would fit because I owned the same guns at home, and I am pretty sure I have done the same with a gun I was buying and it was no big deal.

I also once had some liberal invoke the brandishing thing when I tucked my shirt in so the counter guy could see the pistol I was carrying because he was asking me how it carried and I quickly shut down the other guy by reminding him that OPEN carry was legal and there was even another customer who was wearing a 1911 so that settled that pretty quick LOL.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loose lips sink ships. I've bought countless guns without a hitch. Don''t run your mouth about ANYTHING, don't ask questions. Just fill out the form, get your gun, go home. Getting red flagged just once can screw you forever. My bro-in-law made the mistake of checking the Native American AND White boxes. The feds made him wait 3 days. No big deal right? WRONG! Now EVERY TIME he buys a gun he has to wait 3 DAYS!
I been checking white since the beginning. Once I put white and native American and it didn't change a thing. I am half Cherokee.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The main thing to remember about a straw purchase is buying it for someone who cannot legally buy it. If the other party is legally able, then it doesn't meet the criteria of a straw purchase. So you are fine. Just dont answer unrequired questioning.

I suggest no one take this advice. It's completely wrong except for the don't answer unnecessary questions part.

It is a straw purchase to buy a gun for anyone else unless it's a bona fide gift. That's been answered here by several people including quotes right from the ATF website.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that is ridiculous...I have had them pull out display guns several times to see if certain holsters would fit because I owned the same guns at home, and I am pretty sure I have done the same with a gun I was buying and it was no big deal.

I also once had some liberal invoke the brandishing thing when I tucked my shirt in so the counter guy could see the pistol I was carrying because he was asking me how it carried and I quickly shut down the other guy by reminding him that OPEN carry was legal and there was even another customer who was wearing a 1911 so that settled that pretty quick LOL.
I totally support your right to open carry, to each his own but unless you're uniformed law enforcement I wouldn't recommend it. Kinda like playing poker while holding your cards backwards. Real baddies aren't scared by open carry, they just shoot that guy first.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally support your right to open carry, to each his own but unless you're uniformed law enforcement I wouldn't recommend it. Kinda like playing poker while holding your cards backwards. Real baddies aren't scared by open carry, they just shoot that guy first.
I wasn't open carrying, I just switched to it so the Academy guy could see how the gun was being carried. I agree that concealment is strategically better. I open carry when I am fishing though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom