Straw purchase question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now he's gonna report that as an attempted straw purchase. Best thing is to fill out the 4473 and ignore Mr. Storeman person and even tell him to STFU because he's trying to influence you when you're filling out the 4473. Call his manager over too. He has ZERO business asking you anything really, much less questions that are already on the 4473.
That Academy employee is ignorant. I hope they're a member of this board and see this post and thread. They have no business asking those questions.

It doesn't matter who pays for the gun. If you fill out the form, you get a proceed, and you leave with the gun you are in compliance. If your name is on your credit card or your wife's name is on the card, it comes from the same account (still irrelevant).

Some people just want a sense of authority and the ability to deny people simple pleasures. We refer to them as Karens.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main thing to remember about a straw purchase is buying it for someone who cannot legally buy it. If the other party is legally able, then it doesn't meet the criteria of a straw purchase. So you are fine. Just dont answer unrequired questioning.
The FFL can refuse the purpose if he sees anything to make him suspect it is a straw purchase. He is going to cover his rear and protect his License before being considerate of any inconvenience.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my kid went to pay for the purchase with his CC he was told that doing so could be seen as a 'straw-purchase',
I'd really like to understand their reasoning for telling you both this . . . I'm not aware of anything that states the 4473 must match the name of the person paying for it, just whoever will be taking possession of it as the owner.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found Academy to be a royal PITA to purchase a hand gun from. Never again.
Also. I purchased two very cheap gun cases. The kid at the register opened them up and ran his arm down them to see if I stuffed any contraband in them. These things were paper thin with no way of concealing anything. Academy has even done this with socks when my wife was there.
What's wrong, you don't like getting perp walked to the front like you got caught shoplifting just so you can pay?

I did once convince one of their gun counter dudes to take the trigger lock off of a pistol.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw new questions on the 4473 today, made me think of this thread
PXL_20230527_012135285.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom