Can I be an Oklahoma resident but have a non resident Virginia license and be legal.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend the same thing. I also recommend Arizona as a starting point since it's cheaper, faster, and will give you a second set of credentials once you get your OK license. I am not familiar with the VA NR process but if it's as fast and easy as AZ, I say go for it. Once you have it, you can go through the OK process at your leisure.

As far as receiving a hard time during a stop, I'm not going to let that discourage me from going about my life as I please as long as I'm not breaking the law. Be polite, be respectful, but at the end of the day, the NR licenses are perfectly legitimate in Oklahoma.

While you're deciding on which way to go, make sure to decide to vote for State representation in the House and Senate who support Constitutional Carry, so that citizens no longer have to put themselves through this burdensome process to begin with in order to exercise a Constitutional right.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind replies. I do plan to eventually get my OK license as well (ASAP), it is just hard for me to do right now with my hectic job schedule and on call times.

I was also surprised to find out that my OK hunter education card will qualify as showing 'competance with a handgun'. I made sure of this by calling Virginia Dpt of hunting and inland fisheries (They recognize OK's hunter safety education) as well as VSP.

Both Virginia agencies were very couteous and propmt returning my calls and aswering all my questions while OSBI acted like I was bothering them with all the fine print type questions.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always recommend home state plus one that remains valid when you move.
Having gotten Oklahoma when only 4 states recognized us, I have 4 licenses for historical reasons, but could get by with 2, where I travel. I keep Utah because it is so cheap and they are so fast on renewals.

After getting full reciprocity with 2 or 3, you have to go state-by-state for the rest, and some will not issue to you.

Unlike driver's licenses, you can have as many carry licenses as you need/want, if they will issue to you.

Oklahoma recognizes ALL state-issued carry licenses, PERIOD.
All sound advice. The home state plus one more that won't go invalid when you move is my advice too. The costs of that 2nd one to obtain as well as renew is something to consider. Also how full a coverage it will get you into states you plan to visit in the future.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of posters have mentioned that an NR license is a good thing because it won't become invalid upon moving out of state. I'd think otherwise since the NR would be invalid once it no longer reflected the address of your current residence. Of course, if the NR license can be quickly and cheaply updated, this may seem a small matter but I think it has large legal implications. As other posters have noted, the much-preferred Constitutional carry overcomes all these obstacles but that Nirvana may never arrive.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of posters have mentioned that an NR license is a good thing because it won't become invalid upon moving out of state. I'd think otherwise since the NR would be invalid once it no longer reflected the address of your current residence. Of course, if the NR license can be quickly and cheaply updated, this may seem a small matter but I think it has large legal implications.

You are making the mistake of applying Oklahoma law to other states, who really don't care how we do it in Oklahoma. Utah, for example, does not require your current address to be on your card you carry. You can get a new one if you wish, but have 30 days to notify them of a change of address: a phone call or email will do. They also do not care where your drivers license is from, nor where in the US you live. Any state you are stopped in can link into Utah BCI to confirm carry card is still currently valid. There is no problem moving from one state to another with a Utah card, nor several others.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys I've got everything done but Fingerprints (Friday) and my $100 money order. I was surprised how short the application was. Quicker to fill out than our standard handgun purchase form...lol

Should be sending it off Friday or Monday.

As a side note....The lady I spoke with at the VSP handgun licensing dpt told me they handle just as many non resident apps than resident, if not more. I've got to get my OK license though asap because knowing my luck OK will no longer recognize non res VA permits the day mine arrives in the mail....lol

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two problems with getting a non-resident license.

1. With a non-resident license from another state, you would not be exempt from Title 18 USC 922(q) the "Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" in Oklahoma, and would therefore be subject to five years in federal prison each and every time you drive within 1000 feet of a school in Oklahoma. You would not be able to legally carry in any developed area, except in the state issuing the license, due to the number of schools. Upon conviction, you would also be permanently disqualified from possessing guns for the rest of your life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

2. There are several states that deny reciprocity to non-resident licenses, even though they grant reciprocity to the same state's resident license. (Oklahoma accepts all licenses)

Latest posts

Top Bottom