Can I be an Oklahoma resident but have a non resident Virginia license and be legal.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two problems with getting a non-resident license.

1. With a non-resident license from another state, you would not be exempt from Title 18 USC 922(q) the "Federal Gun Free School Zones Act" in Oklahoma, and would therefore be subject to five years in federal prison each and every time you drive within 1000 feet of a school in Oklahoma. You would not be able to legally carry in any developed area, except in the state issuing the license, due to the number of schools. Upon conviction, you would also be permanently disqualified from possessing guns for the rest of your life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

2. There are several states that deny reciprocity to non-resident licenses, even though they grant reciprocity to the same state's resident license. (Oklahoma accepts all licenses)

Thx for the reply Cougar....

Yes I'm aware of this absolutely ridiculous law and it WILL be an issue for me as I drive by 2-3 different schools all the time. (no way around this). It is just an absolutely ridiculous law that needs amendments. It's silly for a state to recognize other states, BUT on the federal level it is illegal. It's absurd. I mean it's impossible to travel in some major cities, etc without being within 1000ft of a school zone. I know people who travel do it all the time probably not even knowing that they are breaking the law on a federal level....I'd hate to think I was on a business trip and was arrested and convicted of breaking this law because I had to stop and get gas but ended up having to use my handgun in a self-defense situation.

There is a CCL class Saturday in my town that may have 2 spots open up tomorrow. Right now it is full, BUT a married couple has called and informed the instructor they may not be able to make it....IF they don't I'm in.

Last edited:

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thx for the reply Cougar....

Yes I'm aware of this absolutely ridiculous law

FYI: The wikipedia article has a letter that was written to OK2A, which partners with this site, that goes further to say that an Oklahoma permit holder could be charged for using their gun in act of self defense, in Oklahoma.

Basically, the federal government does not recognize ANY reciprocity, and they don't recognize any self defense that occurs on public sidewalks, roads, and highways which are within 1000 feet of a school.

Here is a map of what gun free school zones look like in a populated area.

http://www.gunlaws.com/images/GFSZ-SanFranCloseup.png

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are making the mistake of applying Oklahoma law to other states, who really don't care how we do it in Oklahoma. Utah, for example, does not require your current address to be on your card you carry. You can get a new one if you wish, but have 30 days to notify them of a change of address: a phone call or email will do. They also do not care where your drivers license is from, nor where in the US you live. Any state you are stopped in can link into Utah BCI to confirm carry card is still currently valid. There is no problem moving from one state to another with a Utah card, nor several others.

Good to know - I considered doing the Utah class at H&H back when I lived in OKC. I've since determined that places that don't recognize the OK license don't really need me to visit. The only exception to that might be Vegas/NV and they recently disallowed the UT NR license so even that's not a solution.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing, that I actually just learned.

Oklahoma's reciprocity only allows for concealed carry. You would not be able to open carry, under Oklahoma law, using any license other than an Oklahoma license.

Do you have a source?

Thanks~!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69809

The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading the statute, the issue may be that, an out-of-state permit from a state that allows concealed carry, but not open carry, may not be valid for open carry in Oklahoma. However, I am recanting my earlier statement for now. I was told this by a usually authoritative source, however I had not recently read the relevant statute, which Rod quoted. I will investigate further, but do not currently feel confident in my earlier statement.

However, I am quite confident in my earlier two points about an Oklahoma permit being required for Fed GFSZA exemption in Oklahoma, and an issue with some states not recognizing non-resident permits.

Bearly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the downside or limitations for a resident Oklahoma license when compared to only having a non-resident license for an Oklahoma resident?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also if you don't like the government having your fingerprints, you can get a Maine NR permit that doesn't require them. Just an application, passport photo from Walgreens, proof of some sort of handgun safety training involving live fire from a governmental or nationally-recognized organization, and $60. Not as many other states honor it as an OK license, but it works here in OK, and it is the only State I've found that both doesn't want your prints, AND issues NR licenses to out-of-staters. Kind of nice that you can go to an actually decent and useful defensive handgun course to satisfy the training requirement, instead of the joke class that is the CLEET curriculum.

Of course it's bogus to have to jump through ANY hoops to exercise a natural, inalienable, and Constitutionally-protected right... but we have to do the best we can to protect ourselves from all the aggressors out there, both private and governmental. It is insulting to the dignity of a free man to apply for such a permit, but it keeps you from getting caged and fined by the local Gestapo anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom