Can we discuss buying Silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about how much money we spend on shooting every month.I love to shoot but the money spent on ammo, even if we reload is just gone.I shoot a 22 most of the time and still spend over $100.00 per month on ammo.I use to spend over $200.00 a month on ammo.I bought some gold when it was $300.00 and ounce that has paid for a lot of ammo.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy a 10oz bar of silver every month, sometimes two. It's real affordable these days and the national debts grows bigger every second. Plus, the gold/silver ratio is way out of whack right now, so it just makes sense to buy silver. You can say all you want about silver and gold, and it's probably true, but one thing that you can't deny is they usually go up in value during recessions and serve as a better hedge against inflation than your saving account's sub 1% interest rates.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a young lad my dad was a gun dealer and I went with him to guns shows. He would give me five dollars to spend while at them to keep me busy. There were always coin shows in same building so I bought silver coins every time I went. 1980 I think was year came around and I sold all my silver during hunt brother time and made a lot of profit. Man that was a good time to own silver.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here are my thoughts on it.

First, I collect coins, so some of my purchase of silver is in coinage. Folks want to sell 'em at melt, I'm usually interested in what they have. I really enjoy silver dollars. Something about those cartwheels that just feel good in your hand.

I'll buy some Silver Eagles, or bars on occasion.
I've even grabbed one or two ozs of gold in the past.

Am I stocking up for a SHTF scenario? No. I've been thru one of two small versions of those. Hurricaines, Ice Storms, Blizzards. Cash was king. No credit cards (power outages), No ATMs, No checks (couldn't get verifications) but cash was taken. I doubt any of the "deals" I cut during those times would have been carried out using bullion in any form. Maybe. But I doubt it.

Besides the fact that I LIKE the feel of the metals and I LIKE the coins, I LIKE the idea of owning some solid assets.

Is it real liquid? Probably not.

I always thought that guns, ammo and mags were relatively liquid also but have come to find out that they are not.

In times of scarcity, yes. In times of plenty, No.

Figure it is the same with silver and gold (hmmm, sounds like a song).

Maybe I just figure I'm leaving something that is harder to trace to my kids and grandkids.

Dave
No wait, I mean Fred. Yeah, that's the ticket. That's the name I'll claim for this.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, here are my thoughts on it.

Am I stocking up for a SHTF scenario? No. I've been thru one of two small versions of those. Hurricaines, Ice Storms, Blizzards. Cash was king. No credit cards (power outages), No ATMs, No checks (couldn't get verifications) but cash was taken. I doubt any of the "deals" I cut during those times would have been carried out using bullion in any form. Maybe. But I doubt it.

Tin foil hat time

Most people seem to think a SHTF scenario is something along the lines of a Mad Max movie, but that's just not the case. Most likely it'll involve the USD becoming worthless due to massive inflation when the .gov is forced to print truck loads of new bills in order to pay off our staggeringly high national debt. It happens to other countries all the time, but lots of people trick themselves into believing that the US of A is somehow 100% impervious to a monetary collapse. I'm sure that's what the ancient Romans thought, too, but their silver Denarius eventually became worthless and barely had any silver content at all by the time the empire fell to pieces.

When the USD becomes worthless and the govt has to either redenominate the currency or adopt a foreign one all together, your dusty piles of paper aren't going to be wanted by anybody in exchange for their own currency. Think about it. Would you actually trade your hard-earned dollars right now for a pile of worthless Venezuelan Bolivars? You could brag that you're a millionaire for the low price of 4 bucks, but nobody is gonna take your "money" in trade and you'll be unable to trade it back for your dollars. It's the same idea for when the USD fails. In that case, you're gonna wish you had set aside some of your fiat money in the form of real money like silver and gold. There practically isn't a country in the world where you couldn't take a bar of silver and trade it for whatever currency is in use, so when the time comes that you desperately need money and all your dollars are worth less than the paper it's all printed on you'll be good to go if you have precious metals.

I know that eventually the government is gonna implode, and all the former united states are gonna go to their own currencies. When that happens, things like silver and gold are gonna be your best friend for converting your wealth into whatever new currency is in use where you live. Gold and silver is valuable to everyone around the world. Fiat money is only worth what Daddy Government tells you it is, and when he's dead and gone... ain't worth nothin'. Don't be one of the suckers who gets stuck with all his wealth tied up in paper when the S really HTF.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tin foil hat time

Most people seem to think a SHTF scenario is something along the lines of a Mad Max movie, but that's just not the case. Most likely it'll involve the USD becoming worthless due to massive inflation when the .gov is forced to print truck loads of new bills in order to pay off our staggeringly high national debt. It happens to other countries all the time, but lots of people trick themselves into believing that the US of A is somehow 100% impervious to a monetary collapse. I'm sure that's what the ancient Romans thought, too, but their silver Denarius eventually became worthless and barely had any silver content at all by the time the empire fell to pieces.

When the USD becomes worthless and the govt has to either redenominate the currency or adopt a foreign one all together, your dusty piles of paper aren't going to be wanted by anybody in exchange for their own currency. Think about it. Would you actually trade your hard-earned dollars right now for a pile of worthless Venezuelan Bolivars? You could brag that you're a millionaire for the low price of 4 bucks, but nobody is gonna take your "money" in trade and you'll be unable to trade it back for your dollars. It's the same idea for when the USD fails. In that case, you're gonna wish you had set aside some of your fiat money in the form of real money like silver and gold. There practically isn't a country in the world where you couldn't take a bar of silver and trade it for whatever currency is in use, so when the time comes that you desperately need money and all your dollars are worth less than the paper it's all printed on you'll be good to go if you have precious metals.

I know that eventually the government is gonna implode, and all the former united states are gonna go to their own currencies. When that happens, things like silver and gold are gonna be your best friend for converting your wealth into whatever new currency is in use where you live. Gold and silver is valuable to everyone around the world. Fiat money is only worth what Daddy Government tells you it is, and when he's dead and gone... ain't worth nothin'. Don't be one of the suckers who gets stuck with all his wealth tied up in paper when the S really HTF.

"Most people seem to think a SHTF scenario is something along the lines of a Mad Max movie, but that's just not the case. Most likely it'll involve the USD becoming worthless due to massive inflation when the .gov is forced to print truck loads of new bills in order to pay off our staggeringly high national debt. It happens to other countries all the time"

Those countries your talking about are liberal dictatorships, not free market economies.
So when do you expect to see this scenario in your lifetime or your grandkids? The folks that sell gold and silver are preying on your suspicions and emotions to make a buck.
Think about it. When and if the SHTF what are you going to buy with your metal? Going to bite off a chunk for a loaf of bread? How are you going to pay for that bread with your metal?
I don't believe the U.S. will ever go through that scenerio as I'm a cup half full vs a cup half empty type of mind and don't see all the doom and gloom some have their brains ate up with.
I'm open to opinions and discussion though

Latest posts

Top Bottom