Can we discuss buying Silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tin foil hat time

Most people seem to think a SHTF scenario is something along the lines of a Mad Max movie, but that's just not the case. Most likely it'll involve the USD becoming worthless due to massive inflation when the .gov is forced to print truck loads of new bills in order to pay off our staggeringly high national debt. It happens to other countries all the time, but lots of people trick themselves into believing that the US of A is somehow 100% impervious to a monetary collapse. I'm sure that's what the ancient Romans thought, too, but their silver Denarius eventually became worthless and barely had any silver content at all by the time the empire fell to pieces.

When the USD becomes worthless and the govt has to either redenominate the currency or adopt a foreign one all together, your dusty piles of paper aren't going to be wanted by anybody in exchange for their own currency. Think about it. Would you actually trade your hard-earned dollars right now for a pile of worthless Venezuelan Bolivars? You could brag that you're a millionaire for the low price of 4 bucks, but nobody is gonna take your "money" in trade and you'll be unable to trade it back for your dollars. It's the same idea for when the USD fails. In that case, you're gonna wish you had set aside some of your fiat money in the form of real money like silver and gold. There practically isn't a country in the world where you couldn't take a bar of silver and trade it for whatever currency is in use, so when the time comes that you desperately need money and all your dollars are worth less than the paper it's all printed on you'll be good to go if you have precious metals.

I know that eventually the government is gonna implode, and all the former united states are gonna go to their own currencies. When that happens, things like silver and gold are gonna be your best friend for converting your wealth into whatever new currency is in use where you live. Gold and silver is valuable to everyone around the world. Fiat money is only worth what Daddy Government tells you it is, and when he's dead and gone... ain't worth nothin'. Don't be one of the suckers who gets stuck with all his wealth tied up in paper when the S really HTF.

I agree with some of what you say and was certainly NOT saying Gold and Silver would be worthless.

In my case, the SHTF scenarios were short term, local problems. I can't tell you how many people I saw lost because phones and power were down and ATMs, check verification, etc were cut off. Not able to use debit cards, not able to use a check, and WalMart certainly wasn't taking Silver Eagles while their backup system was running!!

Long term is a different animal all together, but, don't forget the Gold Act of 1934. Something like that could easily happen again.
Would a secondary "black market" open up if we were in those straights? I'm sure, but...

I sort of like what Matt Bracken has in his Enemies Trilogy about the Gov outlawing the ownership of gold by private citizens and the Tribal lands stepping in and coining their own!

I agree that Venezuela is a good example of what can happen. PreWar Germany is another. I mean I have postage stamps that were for 5 MILLION marks!!

I think that the key is cliche. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Cash will still be king for the short term, long term is another story.
And I still believe that brass, lead and copper have their place in the hierarchy of precious metals!!

Dave

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Most people seem to think a SHTF scenario is something along the lines of a Mad Max movie, but that's just not the case. Most likely it'll involve the USD becoming worthless due to massive inflation when the .gov is forced to print truck loads of new bills in order to pay off our staggeringly high national debt. It happens to other countries all the time"

Those countries your talking about are liberal dictatorships, not free market economies.
So when do you expect to see this scenario in your lifetime or your grandkids? The folks that sell gold and silver are preying on your suspicions and emotions to make a buck.
Think about it. When and if the SHTF what are you going to buy with your metal? Going to bite off a chunk for a loaf of bread? How are you going to pay for that bread with your metal?
I don't believe the U.S. will ever go through that scenerio as I'm a cup half full vs a cup half empty type of mind and don't see all the doom and gloom some have their brains ate up with.
I'm open to opinions and discussion though

You do realize that some of us that put precious metals aside have been doing so long before the Internet was invented and the hucksters put out their commercials? This isn't something new. After they quit minting silver coins in 1964 my great grandparents started saving them. They immigrated from Russia in 19O5 and lived through the Great Depression and Dust Bowl.

None of us knew until after they passed. They hid them in different places around the house and put each of their children's names on the containers they were stored in. Maybe they knew something, eh?

I still have the fruitcake tin that was full of silver dimes that my grandmother passed on to me.

Never have I bought at market value. Either traded, bartered or bought from folks that needed quick cash. And what gold I have I mined in Alaska myself.

And how will I pay for that loaf of bread? Silver dimes, quarters or half dollars. Or maybe instead of paying for it I'll just bake it myself since I know how to do that.

Say what you will but I bet my preparations for whatever calamity may arise for me, my children or grandchildren are much more diversified then yours. Never be so closed minded that you can't see the possibilities.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do realize that some of us that put precious metals aside have been doing so long before the Internet was invented and the hucksters put out their commercials? This isn't something new. After they quit minting silver coins in 1964 my great grandparents started saving them. They immigrated from Russia in 19O5 and lived through the Great Depression and Dust Bowl.

None of us knew until after they passed. They hid them in different places around the house and put each of their children's names on the containers they were stored in. Maybe they knew something, eh?

I still have the fruitcake tin that was full of silver dimes that my grandmother passed on to me.

Never have I bought at market value. Either traded, bartered or bought from folks that needed quick cash. And what gold I have I mined in Alaska myself.

And how will I pay for that loaf of bread? Silver dimes, quarters or half dollars. Or maybe instead of paying for it I'll just bake it myself since I know how to do that.

Say what you will but I bet my preparations for whatever calamity may arise for me, my children or grandchildren are much more diversified then yours. Never be so closed minded that you can't see the possibilities.

What point are you trying to make? I didn't say to buy a loaf of bread with silver, if that's what you thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stash of silver dollars my grandparents gave me for birthdays, etc when I was a kid. I've never considered them for investment or surviving SHTF situations. Some from the 1800's. Took some of the older ones to coin dealers over the years and yeah I could double the value and take $2 apiece for them. I just don't see the need or desire to buy metals, but to each their own. More valuable to me as family heirlooms.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am always looking at ways to make money and had a friend recommend I invest in silver since its "at a 5 year low" and "if the US dollar collapses it will go sky high" so I have been checking into it and decided to post my thoughts:

Looking at a chart from an investment standpoint I see that it hung around the $5-$8 range for a long time with major spikes in 1980 (Hunt brothers bubble) and 2011 (world economy scare). Zoom in to a 6 month timeline and it is a pretty obvious trend...dropping like a rock. Right now it sure looks like a loser and a bad time to buy. News could hit tomorrow that would cause it to jump back up to $50 but im not going to bet on that. once it drops under $10 I may look into it some more but for now I would say no.

Looking at it from the prepper point of view I think it would be an excellent thing to have for barter. not EVERYONE will want to trade for .22 bullets and 10 lb of silver wont break the bank no matter the value. but yea I aint buying any lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom