Cannon safe keypad question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well howdy do. I was thinking about trying to change mine to a keypad from a dial. I guess that’s not happening.

If I thought I could afford one I’d get the Bear with the locks that take funky keys and all you can reach is the keyhole.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well howdy do. I was thinking about trying to change mine to a keypad from a dial. I guess that’s not happening.

If I thought I could afford one I’d get the Bear with the locks tgat take funky keys and all you can reach is the keyhole.
It's not hard to pull the panel off and change out the whole shebang. I put a S&G digital on my old Cannon safe years ago. There's no drilling or fabbing as they are a standard UL, type 2 format.

I'm thinking about going back to dial on it now, but it will be a S&G lock instead of the cheapa$$ La Gard that came on it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If I thought I could afford one I’d get the Bear with the locks tgat take funky keys and all you can reach is the keyhole.
i bought a bear when they first got started. could it have been over 40 years ago? anyway it is grey painted with an almost aluminum paint. i had to make my own interior.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just the electronic locks that are prone to an occasional issue.

I have a very high-end Am Sec safe with a manual dial lock. Just before I made this last move (so maybe a year ago) I tried to open the safe and the dial just free-wheeled after putting in the combo. Did it several times. I even dug out the combo to make sure I wasn't putting in a wrong number.

I got frustrated and decided to call the company the following day. Before I called I tried it one more time and it opened normally. No idea what happened to it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cannon safe locked me out a couple of times. Once waiting 24hrs or anything else I tried would work. Called a friend who had same safe to bring over his keypad. Unhooked mine then plugged his in, he entered his code and it opened. I replaced my digital lock afterwards. Only regret not putting a combo lock on instead.
Holy crap, that's one huge, and inexcusable, design flaw.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's one huge, and inexcusable, design flaw.
Never thought of it like that at the time, was just glad to get it open without cutting or drilling. But you Sir are correct. As stated previously my intent was to change passcode to mine and see if I could open it. But my friend entered his and it clicked and opened. Don't know how or why???????

Latest posts

Top Bottom