Cautionary tale, with a hero!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This story may sound familiar to some of you folks. Last year I was taking a gunsmithing course with my son. We thought that it would be fun to build a 1911. At the time, money was tight so trading and pinching pennies was the way that I had to go. Foolishly, I traded a new Caspian double stack frame for a "race" frame that had the grip safety installed (it didn't work) and came with with a barrel and really poor checkering under the trigger. We ordered parts off of Ebay, and Brownells, and Midway. Many were Wilson Combat etc. The slide was a Sarco. It looked really cool.

We got it all together, it looked beautiful. IT WOULDN'T WORK!. After the round was fired, the slide wouldn't close unless I pushed it forward. I tried ammo, mags, stoning. Nothing worked. It gets worse.

A guy I know said that he was a gunsmith and was intimately familiar with 1911's and would be happy to fix my gun for free (I have done several favors for him). After a week or two he returned the gun. The barrel looked like a bench grinder had been used on it, the sear was messed up and the grip safety still did not work. I heard how much he did with it, and how he would be comfortable taking that pistol to down town Faluja. Really? I wouldn't take it to Lawton

IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!!!!! SAME DANG PROBLEM

I was frustrated and put it in the safe. My pretty 1911 was a single-shot pistol. (sigh)

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at a link on OSA and saw the recommendation for Anthony Durning from Durning Defense Customs LLC. In Tuttle
I called him and headed down to his house to see if he could rehabilitate my gun to work as Mr Browning intended it to.

As soon as I put the pistol in Anthony's hands I knew the doctor was in. He examined it, gave me a quote and got to work.
He had to mill the crappy Sarco slide, he replaced the barrel, replaced the sear, fixed the crappy checkering under the trigger, replaced and checkered the mainspring housing, and did his "reliability" job on the gun. And made it safe. I picked it up Saturday and the price was very, very reasonable.

We went to H&H today to try it out. (saw Badgebunny) The gun ran perfect, it shot to point of aim, shots touching at 15 yards. We put 100 hollowpoints and 50 ball through it. It was AWESOME and accurate. All that I wanted. Anthony gets all of my work from now on.
Here are some pictures
i1130.photobucket.com_albums_m538_superdave65_IMG_0673.jpg

i1130.photobucket.com_albums_m538_superdave65_IMG_0675.jpg

i1130.photobucket.com_albums_m538_superdave65_IMG_0676.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics, I was so excited that I didn't even clean it before taking pictures

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The checkering looks pretty good. I have been thinking or having my 1911 done on the front of the grip. Does he have a website or price list for that kind of thing?

Nevermind, I think I found it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom