Celiac Disease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been GF for over two years. I don't have Celiac Disease, but an elevated antibody that comes with it named GAD65 that is inflaming/toxic to various parts of my bod, namely the brainstem.

If you go GF, your whole family needs to make the change. As noted, cross contamination will foil attempts to the contrary.

Most restaurants advertise GF because it makes them money to a certain demographic. In general, I trust no claims unless I have seen it from start to finish, or unless it comes from a specialty vendor.

It is hard to do, and expensive - really expensive.

On the plus sides, you eat cleaner by default, and you tend to eat less. In this way, the payoff in having an inconvenient diet is that cheap-ass garbage convenience foods are out the window. A solid move for anyone to take.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Udi's bread, toasted, is somewhat passible as 'regular bread'.
Mexican food is cool. Avoid the flour tortillas, keep it strictly corn, and you're good.
Doing Italian at home is easy using brown rice pasta. I have no idea why more italian restaurants aren't GF, because it's easy.
BJ's in OKC has a bunch of GF offerings. The senior corporate chef for the chain is celiac, so I think they take it seriously.
Redbridge (sorghum) beer is GF.

noslogto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to eat GF now for a while...and is it ever hard. And costly. A GF loaf of bread at WM is about $6 and it's only half the normal size...that means $12 for a full loaf of GF bread. Crazy.

On a side note, we have been trying to eat healthier on all fronts....farm fresh eggs, grass fed beef, etc.

I'm thinking of trying grasshoppers...they're free! (if ya'll want some, I've got plenty!)

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our youngest is allergic to wheat so we've gone GF. Really don't miss it and there are now tons of products out there that make the transition easier.

Fast food eating out:
Hideaway - GF crust
Dominos - GF crust
Mazzio's - GF crust
Jason's Deli - GF sandwiches.
Chipotle - tacos and corn tortillas

Just off the top of my head and you can find a wide variety of GF meals at the traditional restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have celiacs disease. In low-mod doses I get the arthritis, bloating, gastro-intestinal inflammation and intractable diarrhea. At high doses I get the skin rash termed "dermatitis herpetiformis' along my joint surfaces with a blistering rash on my fingers, apthous ulcers in my mouth, and rarely migraines (thank god).

I have transitioned my diet to include a base of vegetables and fruits with every meal and brown rice. Occasionally for pasta we use quinoa or brown-rice based pasta. We already made the transition to eliminate red meats except for the occasional steak. My wife isn't much for fish so I add that in when its just me.

It was life changing when I figured it out. After a colonoscopy, multiple work-ups and 4-7 years of seemingly random pain I was told I have irritable bowel syndrome (a "functional" disorder that has no "organic" cause. I learned of celiacs disease in medical school and sought testing and now have been mostly pain free for the last couple years except for the random encounters with gluten that I do my best to prevent. I was finally able to lose the extra weight that I have carried since middle school. I dropped 65 lbs and went from a bmi of 34 to bmi of 24. I contribute most of that to clean eating but I retained alot of water secondary to the disease too.

As far as the gluten-free options at restaurants I haven't had any issues with mexican joints. I dont trust pizza joints because I know people who work in the major chains and tell me how they still use the same flour on the pre-made gluten free crusts when prepping them that they do on regular crusts. I ate dominoes one time and shat my brains out afterwords only to heed those words. Other big precautions are all the wheat containing foods. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, most alfredo sauces, some tomato sauces, some ketchups, etc all have wheat or malt barley in them of some form and have caused me to have reactions. I tend to read ingredients on any and everything and avoid wheat/barley/rye like the plague and for good measure I avoid oats since they have a high level of contamination.

Its a wicked disease but I am glad to be more aware.

Latest posts

Top Bottom