chainsaws thinking of getting a new one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a bunch of them. I spent many years cutting wood year-round. My favorite all-around saw is the Stihl MS290...I think it's been updated to the MS291, but I don't know what they changed.

tbsadavid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main saw is a Stihl MS290. Great saw for big jobs. I also have an old Homelite for smaller work. Both saws run great and cut fine. The secret is fresh fuel, clean air filter, and good sharp chain. But I never use any E10 gasoline in any 2-cycle engine. I have torn down several carbs from 2-cycle engines that would not run right and the E10 gas leaves deposits in the carbs that look like powdered sugar.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the 044 w 36 bar is bad and i dont use it to much but i have ran into some trees it wouldnt go all the way thru it, its one you dont want to have to get above waist high when cutting, even thou i have cut some higher but was in a bucket truck doing it.
I dont have the option of cutting a tree and letting it fall since i work for a municipality where we have to deal with power lines and roadways and houses so have to start taking them down alittle at a time to control where they fall.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work as a ranch hand in the summer between semesters, been doing this for 5 years now (I'm a grad student, so 5 years is normal :P). We do a lot of tree cutting and creek clearing in a short time! I have been using the same Stihl with a 18" bar for 5 years now. When I say I use it a lot, I mean its the only tool I use on most days (OK, I'll use my knife too). Ive cut gigantic cotton wood trees (way bigger diameter than 18") with it..no problem

We do take good care of it, and it does go into the shop, mostly to replace a carburetor. BTW do not let them clean your carburetor, always have them replace it.

Best there is IMHO

My dad runs Husky's. Has for years. Cut wood for a living for several years (100+ ricks a year). Never had a carb problem at all, let alone having to replace them more than once as your post would imply. Stihl makes good saws, but your story would scare me off of one compared to my experiences with Husky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom