chainsaws thinking of getting a new one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing is out of all the saws my friends and i have when our saws break we reach for this old green Poulan,, it always saves the day.
maybe we got a rare good one.
I bought a brand new McCulloch a few years ago. It was missing its gas cap (or maybe the bar oil cap), so I went by a local small engine repair shop to find one. They said McCulloch, Poulan, and a few more of the old reliable brands had all been bought out and are now owned by the same company, and were mere shadows of their former selves, basically selling disposable Chinese junk. I don't use my McCulloch very often, but it hasn't failed me yet, unlike the Poulan leaf blower that quit me after two seasons. (Apparently, their coils are junk, so if you can get a replacement coil, you should be good to go until something else fails, but I just replaced the thing with a Husqvarna.)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing ..Husqvarna-Electrolux owns the McCulloch name along with many others including Poulan and Jonsered.
Some are not the same saw they used to be.
I almost feel roll the dice and see if you get a good one.

So far 2 tanks of fuel and 3 yards cleaned up of fallen limbs and the Poulan is working well. Chain is not even loose yet.

And i cut some 4 year seasoned black walnut with the grain..Almost want to cut some slabs of it to make grips..Very nice looking stuff.
If any one needs some of it for grips ,, free for the taking

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing ..Husqvarna-Electrolux owns the McCulloch name along with many others including Poulan and Jonsered.
Some are not the same saw they used to be.
I almost feel roll the dice and see if you get a good one.

So far 2 tanks of fuel and 3 yards cleaned up of fallen limbs and the Poulan is working well. Chain is not even loose yet.

And i cut some 4 year seasoned black walnut with the grain..Almost want to cut some slabs of it to make grips..Very nice looking stuff.
If any one needs some of it for grips ,, free for the taking
My dad has a Poulan bought in 1977. However, you won't find that quality in Poulans sold today, plain and simple. That is why I can't recommend them for anymore then simple yard chores once a year.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stihl are great saws, Echo would be my next bet.

Agree, they don't build saws like they used to. True with most things. I Never use ethanol in small engines.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most inexperienced users don't realize that both Stihl and Husky make professional saws as well as economy homeowner models. The economy saws are cheaper of course, but they also have less power and are heavier than their professional counterpart. The Husky saws you see at Atwoods or other box stores are all cheap economy saws. Husky doesn't sell their pro line at those stores.

As far as Stihl goes, the professional line would be your models MS200/MS201, 026/MS260/MS261, 036/MS360/MS362, 044/MS440/MS441, 046/MS460/MS461, 066/MS660/MS661, 088/MS880. The other saws like MS250, MS290, MS311, MS390 are all cheap economy homeowner saws.

Also, when you buy a pro saw, it will come with standard RMC or RSC chain. These are both fast cutting pro chains. If you buy a homeowner saw it will most likely come with crappy anti-kick back "safety" chain and won't cut worth a damn.

Keep in mind, regardless of the saw you own, if you go in to buy a loop of chain and don't know exactly what you want.....you could be in trouble. That's because the salesperson is going to size you up and if you look like a wimp, he's going to sell you garbage safety chain.

I have a few pro Stihl saws.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom