Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a little off track from my intended question. I'm talking about your personal go to rifle, the one that's your baby, you take to the range, the one that you would grab first to defend your life and family. I totally agree with a budget build for extra rifles for friends and family or whatever other reason. Did you go with a budget build for your personal best rifle? Second, is it a really a budget build? How much do you really have invested? I'm talking head to toe minus mags and ammo, including everything on it.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clock, didn't you just return a barrel out of spec? That's the difference. The bigger names, Noveske, BCM, Colt, Larue and Daniel Defense have earned the respect of better than Mil-Spec rifles. To really test the reliability of anything it has to be pushed passed the standard. Hk for example, runs 10,000 rounds of ammo through their pistols and THEN it passes the accuracy test for the Military, every other pistol shoots for accuracy out of the box. These are things superior brands do. When you get to 10000 rounds on your Ar, then see if it will hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards, if it gets to 10000 rounds. Most budget rifles are great plinking rifles, but don't compare them to brands like BCM because they are not. There is a quality difference.
Edit: sorry Piston, had to come back to edit this. You can put KAC in that group of quality Ar's too.
:wink2:

Yes sir, you are correct. It's not about buying a roll mark, it's about buying a standard. Most ARs will go bang just fine most of the time but higher standards are there to insure it goes bang every time, every round, and every unit.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or because we may have one or two "nice" ones, and are busy building an arsenal to outfit our friends. :)

When it comes to supplying arms and ammo for others, I find that function and reliability are most important. Other "cool" factors, not so much. When you're building a dozen rifles like I am, you don't feel the need to buy top-end stuff. It's just unnecessary.

Are you accepting applications into your militia? :fullauto:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a little off track from my intended question. I'm talking about your personal go to rifle, the one that's your baby, you take to the range, the one that you would grab first to defend your life and family. I totally agree with a budget build for extra rifles for friends and family or whatever other reason. Did you go with a budget build for your personal best rifle? Second, is it a really a budget build? How much do you really have invested? I'm talking head to toe minus mags and ammo, including everything on it.

What difference does cost make if the rifle goes bang every time the trigger is pulled? 1000 rounds down range without failure will qualify a rifle as worthy of self defense, regardless of cost.

I have the means to purchase a Mercedes, I drive a 2006 Chevy pick up with 185k miles on it, why? Because it's reliable and has never failed me.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What difference does cost make if the rifle goes bang every time the trigger is pulled? 1000 rounds down range without failure will qualify a rifle as worthy of self defense, regardless of cost.

I have the means to purchase a Mercedes, I drive a 2006 Chevy pick up with 185k miles on it, why? Because it's reliable and has never failed me.

This.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I get it, but don't agree. What's the chances of having a mechanical failure on a 185k truck vs a new truck? We won't talk about Benz, that's the Rijas of the car business!

I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, that's why cost has something to do with it.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Using the vehicle analogy. A Kia will get you there just the same as a Mercedes most of the time but there will be a higher failure rate with the Kia and the Mercedes will have features that the Kia does not have. Features like more accurate handling and more comfortable seats, etc.

In this analogy the Kia equates to del-ton, Olympic, bushmaster. While the Chevy truck would be more akin to the mid tier AR like spikes, PSA, S&W. And the Mercedes being Noveske, BCM, DD. This is why I don't understand the bottom of the barrel defenders. You can spend not very much more to get a higher standard. The mid tier is as low as some of us would care to go. Vehicular and otherwise.

If the Kia is all you can afford, than have at it. Better to be on the road than walking. But don't go telling me that the Kia is the same damn thing as the Mercedes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom