Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not bashing anybody who does this, but why are you building it? Is it just for fun? Just to see how cheap you can build it for? What is it's intended purpose for you? If it's for a true self defense rifle, do you not worry about the cheap parts failing?

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I build cheap ones to give away to my wife and kiddos. As they don't know what they don't know and when they find out, they can upgrade to what they want. Right now, I am more interested in getting them interested than making sure that they have the latest battle ________.

Now my rifles on the other hand are built to what I like :-)!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a cheap AR when it's used for plinking, or just having fun or even hunting small game. it's a low-buck way to get a black rifle in the hands of an interested shooter - and there is nothing wrong with that.

The other thing to think about is that it may be all they can afford. There are folks that need to stretch every penny that they spend on their hobby. I know a lot of people have the attitude "If you can't afford good quality parts, don't even bother" - I disagree. Build and shoot what you can afford. There's nothing wrong in the world with enjoying the hobby that way.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How many people actually "push" the limits of their rifles? Very few and if your rifle gobs up during a match, that's not really life threatening, frustrating yes. But if the rifle is timed right, with the right feed ramps, decent mags and just a bit of diligence on cleaning/ lubing, most will go bang a very high percentage of the time. I don't think the amount spent on high end parts makes that percentage go up in any sort of ratio to reliability. MIL spec upper & lowers will work weather cast or carved from billet. Worry about correct gas ports, gas block, mags and buffer springs will go a long way towards making a reliable AR.

Now money spent on good triggers, sights and such, is where you'll see the ratio of money spent vs results go up is in accuracy.

Been looking to build one for a buddy and can build a M-4 flat top, anywhere between $525-750 depending on the goodies wanted. I look for deals on complete uppers and the recent buy of $49 lowers and you can get one fairly cheap and that will shoot when the trigger is pulled.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built mine because I could not find exactly what I wanted. It was also a good experience. I may do another. I did use good parts and am happy with my first build. Thanks goes out to Harsh for all of his help, advice and most excellent Cerakoting.

novtec1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
built my "cheap" AR cause it was my learn how to do it gun. My second one was my midgrade gun... thats why i built it. No lie the "cheap" gun shoots like a champ and i haven't had one issue out of it yet.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not bashing anybody who does this, but why are you building it? Is it just for fun? Just to see how cheap you can build it for? What is it's intended purpose for you? If it's for a true self defense rifle, do you not worry about the cheap parts failing?

Well I cannot afford a larue or les baer so I've bought premium parts as the budget allows and assembled two nice ars. And one cheaper one because I had some spare parts. I'm shooting prarie dogs with the two long range builds and the mforgery is strictly for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Why not? Good way to learn how to build and repair. It would hurt my heart to screw up a non-cheap part. My "cheap" rifles go bang when I pull the trigger. The cheapest of my "cheap" rifles is a little over $500.00. That ain't cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom