Cheap stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Brown

Hi,
My first post here, I just recently found this website. I grew up in the OKC area, lived here since the mid 60's. It's nice to find a site with people who live nearby.
I just recently completed a rifle I thought I would share.

I've had this project sitting on the bench for a while waiting for the right stock. It's a Lawton 7000 action with a Jewell trigger and a 24" 1 in 9 twist cut rifled Lawton barrel chambered in .243 win. Sightron side focus 4.5-14X44 mildot scope.

Not to long ago friend of mine, Rex Reneau, skim bedded it into an old pull off Remington stock he had laying around. The price was right, so I went to work. I stripped it, scraped off the checkering, reshaped, re-checkered and rubbed in a bazillion coats of tung oil. I'm tired of rubbing in tung oil, I guess its done.
I'm not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed at the time I've wasted on an old rag factory wood stock for what is otherwise a fairly presentable rifle...What do you think?

rtsidegrip.jpg

rtsidefromrear.jpg

lftsideclosefromrear.jpg

rtsidefull.jpg

rtside.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like the only thing cheap about that stock is the price you paid! Looks great. I wouldn't hesitate to put a rifle in that stock!

And welcome! I'd love to see a write up on the process you go through to make a stock look like that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom