Checking barrel after stuck bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title kind of suggests, I have had the wonderful opportunity to experience my first squib load. Fortunately I noticed the issue and didn't do the typical "tap, rack and bang" malfunction sequence. Otherwise that next bang would have been pretty bad for me.

Now that I've gotten past the malfunction and I've gotten the offending chunk of lead out of my barrel, does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I should maybe check with my barrel prior to making it go bang again? And no worries, all of the rest of my rounds that I was shooting will be pulled and verified so I don't have anymore issues like this (cross fingers).

Thanks in advance,
Beardking

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a couple of squibs. Cleared the barrel and went on to shoot the rest of the match.
You should be able to look down the barrel with a bright light at the other end and see if there is any residue.
I doubt you find anything.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What did you use to extract the offending round? If you used a wooden dowel, aluminum rod or (preferrably) a brass rod, just run a patch down it to remove and debris and go shoot it.

If you used a steel or stainless rod, you need to inspect for scoring, scratching and the like. Chances are though, it's fine to shoot as long as it's clear.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a couple of squibs. Cleared the barrel and went on to shoot the rest of the match.
You should be able to look down the barrel with a bright light at the other end and see if there is any residue.
I doubt you find anything.
Looking down the barrel it looks pretty clean (well, except for just needing a cleaning from the shooting I had done).

What did you use to extract the offending round? If you used a wooden dowel, aluminum rod or (preferrably) a brass rod, just run a patch down it to remove and debris and go shoot it.

If you used a steel or stainless rod, you need to inspect for scoring, scratching and the like. Chances are though, it's fine to shoot as long as it's clear.

I used an aluminum dowel as I was hoping to avoid doing any damages to the rifling. Not much of that dowel left by the time I was done though. :-)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd say you're good to go.

You might pick up a piece of brass rod the length needed to pound squibs out. It won't mar the barrel either, but will withstand repeated poundings to get squibs out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say you're good to go.

You might pick up a piece of brass rod the length needed to pound squibs out. It won't mar the barrel either, but will withstand repeated poundings to get squibs out.

Brass is the way to go. I found a muzzleloader starter ramrod with a wood handle on the end that is 8" long. I keep it in the range bag. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433195563.482348.jpg

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always check that bore under strong light before cranking more bullets through it. Many years ago I stuck a jacketed round in a semi-auto barrel. All I had to clear it with me was a section of small diameter steel rod. I carefully centered the rod in the exposed lead center and rapped away with a small hammer. Plunk! Out fell a chunk of lead but it was sans copper jacket. Apply strong light inspection. Crud! Bore now occupied by the jacket only. Had to take it home and pound a full diameter lead bullet through it to get the jacket out. A little oil went down the bore before the pounding the second time, which was a good idea.

Moral is to ALWAYS check to be sure the whole stuck bullet is removed.

Note: I carry a chunk of brass rod to tap others stuck bullets out these days. Its been many 10's of 1,000's rounds since I've needed it for one of my own.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking that I might have to go pick up a nice chunk of brass rod to keep in my bag.

Luckily I was able to get the while bullet and plating in one piece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom