Chevy StabiliTrak question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife drives a 2014 Chevy Equinox. It's got 61K on it. We took it to Alva yesterday and, while in Alva, the "Service StabiliTrak Sytem" notice came on. Some pretty hard curves between Enid and Alva, but no slipping or sliding or skidding. No noticeable difference in handling. It's been shut down and re-started several times since then (which the owner's manual mentioned doing). Turned the system off, then back on, a few times and made no difference. We put the son's Bosch code reader on it, and it doesn't throw any codes. Ideas?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Don, probably a wheel speed sensor. The bad news is that it’s incorporated into the wheel hub. I ‘think’ the complete hub will have to be replaced. Call around to some higher end shops for a over the phone quote before the stealership

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wheel hub is actually somewhat easy. Remove wheel. Remove brake caliper. Remove brake disc. Hub is held on by three bolts from the back. Hub is about $200.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don, probably a wheel speed sensor. The bad news is that it’s incorporated into the wheel hub. I ‘think’ the complete hub will have to be replaced. Call around to some higher end shops for a over the phone quote before the stealership

Wheel hub is actually somewhat easy. Remove wheel. Remove brake caliper. Remove brake disc. Hub is held on by three bolts from the back. Hub is about $200.

Thanks, gents! My son also said he thought it might be a wheel speed sensor. And, looking online, apparently you can replace just the sensor rather than the entire hub! Now, to figure out which one?!?!?! I've done hubs before, no big deal. But, if one of the shops can isolate which one, and be sure it is nothing but the sensor, I'll probably just let them do it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At about 30 each you can probably replace them all for the cost of a trip to the mechanic for them to diagnose it all get the part locally and then replace it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...brake+&+wheel+hub,abs+wheel+speed+sensor,1912

Not to mention that if one went out some others may end up going as well. It could also be in the harness. I would take a trip to the local parts store and let them run a code dump as it may be stored in the computer anyway exactly which wheel it is. Unplug the sensor and check the connector plug it back in and see if the problem is still there. If it is replace the sensor and go from there.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At about 30 each you can probably replace them all for the cost of a trip to the mechanic for them to diagnose it all get the part locally and then replace it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...brake+&+wheel+hub,abs+wheel+speed+sensor,1912

Not to mention that if one went out some others may end up going as well. It could also be in the harness. I would take a trip to the local parts store and let them run a code dump as it may be stored in the computer anyway exactly which wheel it is. Unplug the sensor and check the connector plug it back in and see if the problem is still there. If it is replace the sensor and go from there.

Great minds think alike, John! LOL! (that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!) I had already looked at Rock Auto and was considering just replacing all of them. However, I want to be sure it is 'just' a speed sensor before I even do that! I would hate to spend the time, money and labor replacing all the speed sensors only to find out I still have a problem! Gonna check at least a couple of sources today and tomorrow to see if I can't find someone who will check for codes without charging an arm and a leg. The son's Bosch is a darn nice reader, but it didn't find any codes on this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom