chicken feeder No spill!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a few different chicken feeders the open trough , the round hanging with small holes in it.
The hanging with open areas.
The chickens would get the feed out of all of them and toss the feed to the ground. just like any bird it wants to sort through the feed looking for something different in there.

Sometimes they would reach their feet up there and rake it or shake it out.
Kind of made me mad.. stupid birds making a mess and food in the poop eventually.

I figured it out about a year ago, I took a 3x3 foot piece of plywood set it flat on the ground in the coop and took a steel coffee can and screwed it to the plywood..I pour the feed into the coffee can.

Birds must reach their necks deep into the can to get the feed out.
No digging or shaking/flinging it out either.
I can fill 2 cans and leave for a week and my chickens still have some feed left when i get back.

They can eat it right to the bottom.
If you feed scrap food you can put it in the can also.
Lot less messy.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We always used 2 open feeders with the storage bins on them that would hold 100#s at a time each and filled them every other day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always just threw the feed on the ground and let them go after it, but it wasn't urban chickens. Ours were free range.
I think my parents were glad when the predators picked off the last one though and never bought any more.
The wild turkey leave enough mess around our yard now that we don't want anything else.

8c0c070275258008f2eeeb26cf5ae5d5.jpg

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We always just threw the feed on the ground and let them go after it, but it wasn't urban chickens. Ours were free range.
I think my parents were glad when the predators picked off the last one though and never bought any more.
The wild turkey leave enough mess around our yard now that we don't want anything else.

8c0c070275258008f2eeeb26cf5ae5d5.jpg
Them birds spread all kinds of bad germs and such. I will come get him out for you with my 12 gauge. Just helping you out a little, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom