China Trade war?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won't be nearly as bad as the media is saying. John Q. Entrepreneur imports something Chinese for $1.00, gets slapped with a $0.25 tax and pays it almost willingly. He has likely been selling that item for $15.00 or more anyway. Instead of making $14.00 per item, he is only making $13.75 per item (all other things being equal.). If he wants to keep on making $14.00 per item, all he needs is a 1.7% price increase. If he perceives raising the price as a problem, all he needs to do is raise the price by $5.00 or more per item and put it on sale for 25% off and he will end up making more than he was before the tariff! The only difference is now his customers are happy they are getting 25% off! Meanwhile, the world keeps on turning and Uncle Sam has more cash in his coffers.

Woody

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still can't find any real numbers about how much money has gone into the US Treasury from tariff collection. Does anyone know where those numbers can be found?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the farmers that grow certain crops such as soybean, corn etc are the ones that will be hurt. The average Joe on the street won't be affected too much. Then backing up a few months, Trump put tariffs on Japanese goods if I remember and that would increase the cost of auto parts from Japan.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Manufacturing currently in China would probably be moved to other countries in that region eventually so they could avoid the tariffs.
Much of it, yes. But a lot of the manufacturing in China, like electronics, revolves around extensive networks of suppliers and laborers with specialized skills. It’s not easy to do what China does. They’ve played this game very well and it’s going to take a strong will to break away from Chinese manufacturing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom