Chorizo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I removed it from the casing and it was just greasy mush and really not all that much flavor.

I think you guys are correct I got some junk.
I have a cabinet full of all kinds of spices because I cook all kinds of meat and I much prefer ground wild game I spice up myself.

But you gotta try everything at least once.
the cheap chorizo, the stuff for .99c like Rick is talking about, is mostly lymph nodes and sweat glands with spices.

not saying it isn't *good*, but it isn't sausage. that's the *real* chorizo that isn't as cheap.
the cheap stuff is good to add to a spaghetti style sauce with some cream cheese.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I removed it from the casing and it was just greasy mush and really not all that much flavor.
I don't remove it from the casing...just cut it into pieces, and most all chorizo is meant to be cooked with something else. Eggs, potatoes, etc. Not a good-by-itself sausage, unless you have some chiles and tortillas. You should also cook it down so the grease all but disappears...a lot of folks don't do that.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think you guys are correct I got some junk.
I have a cabinet full of all kinds of spices because I cook all kinds of meat and I much prefer ground wild game I spice up myself.

But you gotta try everything at least once.

I’ve made chorizo with venison and some ground pork blended in for the extra bit of fat. It was really good. Find a recipe and make some.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kid you not out of 1 lb of the stuff I bet I had about 1 tablespoon of meat after the grease was allowed to drain off to the side.

1 Tablespoon is being generous.
Not a good flavor either so as others have stated get the good stuff.
It sure looked spicy and good in the package.

And I am not a picky person as you guys may know.
Mine came from Buy For Less on sw29th and May. They sell chicken feet there also.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's your sign.
That store is the most "Mexican food store" I have been into.
It is a very nice store and as you walk in you are greeted with huge square containers
say 5 foot by 5 foot or larger and one is heaped full of Jalapenos.

I thought that would be a good place to pick some up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom