Civilized Man May Soon Revile Abortion as it Does Slavery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a false equivalent at all. Who is it deciding on one's quality of life? There have been a number of cases of those with "less than perfect" conditions that have been blessed and are a blessing to others. Some of those "less than perfect" individuals are even on the anti-abortion circuit explaining how they are grateful that they weren't aborted, even though it was an option when they were still developing in the womb.

I am not talking about "less than perfect", I'm talking about children born with severe mental handicaps that leave them with no cognitive abilities. The only way you know they are awake is by the fact their eyes are open. And notice I said just mental handicaps. I'm not counting physical because there are way to many examples of people overcoming physical disabilities to live a full and rich life. But those children born into a life of just existing, those are purely the ones I'm referencing. We have no clue the amount they suffer because we have no way to tell if they are suffering, or happy, sad etc.

(And again, please note I'm not for this. I just like to see how others argue this topic. While I can see the merits in this side of the argument I've been around too many people of this type to know that they can show happiness and sadness if you learn to read them properly. The problem is that science is fact based and with this group of people there is no way to "prove" those findings. However, I like to look for alternate avenues to attack this line of thinking as its actually be proposed several times but thankfully has never gained traction)

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have no clue the amount they suffer because we have no way to tell if they are suffering, or happy, sad etc.
The problem is that science is fact based and with this group of people there is no way to "prove" those findings [that people with severe mental disability show happiness].
If someone wants to argue for abortion based on a lack of cognitive capacity, I think what you’ve said is a critical point. We don’t know whether a given individual has the capacity to have a “worthwhile” cognitive existence, so we must assume they do.

As long as medical and biological sciences have existed, they’ve been stubbornly wrong about many things. It was only a few decades ago that standard of care in America was to not administer anesthetic to infants during surgical procedures because many doctors believed people don’t begin to experience pain until about a year old. You’d think the screaming when they started cutting into these people would have tipped them off. There are still physicians who don’t administer any pain medication for infant circumcision subjects because of this absurd belief.

I’ve read and heard about many people who doctors said were brain dead or nearly so who recovered or who were later able to communicate. There is doubt as to whether medical practitioners can reliably determine that someone lacks cognitive ability or potential ability. Even no activity on an EEG is not a guarantee. Doctors don’t know, so the presumption must be in favor of life. Any chance of abortion being murder is too great a risk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom