Colorado Elk hunting advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m 53 and going on my first Colorado elk hunt North of Pagosa Springs 2nd season (10/30-11/7). What are the essentials needed? No guide Over the counter tag, ordered Danner 800 gram thinsolate boots and may order snow gaiters.
I know a bunch of you elk hunt, please help a rookie out.
Mark

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walk your butt off up and down stadium steps. Get those legs developed and the lung capacity for extreme exercise.
Go to the range and do as many push-ups on the line as possible. When struggling to get in one more, get up and shoot the 300 yard target.
it won’t take but one session at the range to realize physical fitness makes a difference when learning to shoot when your physical limitations are at hand, or You can walk into the woods 100 yards and kill your elk.
You just never know when hunting those critters.
Good luck! Take tons of pics so we can enjoy them. 😁

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you roughing it? Going with a group, I hope. All rookies or any experience?
Group
Staying in Rv some knowledge and some greenhorns
I’m the lone rookie mainly concerned about weather and how I’ll handle the altitude, I can get up early and take it slow.
@ OKRuss I will bring my 400 gram Rockies and work in a 10 story building so I plan to hit the stairwell in the new Danners. So far, the problem is I haven’t hit the stairwell much because when I’m at work, well I generally work. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom