Elk Hunting... is it worth the coin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One pointer. Western Colorado all looks like great elk country and looks like there could be an elk behind every tree. It is not so. Don't waste a lot of time hunting where the elk are not. Move fast and cover lots of ground until you start finding good sign and then slow down. The elk are in groups in certain areas that they like and you have to find those areas. It is a terrible waste of time and you will come home disappointed if you spend all your time in great looking elk country with no elk there.

100% agreed. Couldn't be more spot on. Don't hunt them like you do whitetails or you won't be happy with the results.

When he says good sign. He means FRESH sign. So fresh you can often smell the stink of elk in the air, I'm not joking here. Elk are herd animals. You find one, you've found 50. Good fresh elk sign is not hard to spot. Lots of big animals make a really big mess and when its fresh its not hard to miss! Finding that spot is the real chore.

One other thing, when he says slow down, he means SLOW DOWN. Once you hit fresh elk sign, take your time, be smart/cautious. DO NOT BUMP THEM or you will most likely be spending time finding a new herd as that one will most likely travel several miles before stopping again!

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, those pics are awesome, I would love to see some more. You guys are a wealth of information. Are elk as smart about scent as whitetails? What about their eye sight?

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would just hate to come home empty handed and have spent a lot of money.

I know it's tough, and I have come home with an elk tag sandwhich from the very mountain in Hoddy's pictures, but that's why they call it hunting and not killing. I also shot my first elk about 300yds from where he took the fourth picture, my second came across that same valley at 368yds, followed by a raven off the gut pile at the same range, and then shot the biggest cow of my life about half way up the mountain in his first picture. She was a chore, for sure, to get out.

As said before, we pray for snow. Last time out, I was breaking waist deep snow for my buddy who shot his first cow off my shoulder at 98yds in the timber. The snow drives them down off the mountain tops.

Sometimes you just have to "pony up" and do it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The elks eyesight is as good as whitetails. The elk are savvy about scent,but many times elk will just stand there and look at you not knowing what you are. Sometimes they may walk towards you. If you use a cow call many times I have slowed a running herd. I have stopped a herd that is easing off nervous. I have been hollering yardage to my shooters and blowing the cow call and the animals will slow down some,but not for long while getting shot at. The animal were out about 200 to 300 yards. Most of my shooters shoot .300 win mags and zero for 300 to 400 yards. Some animals meet their maker out to 600 yards or more. A cow call is great to settle the animals. Don't let anyone tell you a cow elk is stupid, they are not.

One tip, if you are in a group and have some cow tags and the animals start running shoot the lead cow FIRST. The herd will turn and now have someone shoot the tail end cow and the herd will turn again and MAY come straight at you. I had this happen to me many years ago. One cow took a 180 grainer down her wind pipe and never touched her teeth. Uhhhhhhh, she did not go far. We harvested 4 out of that herd in a couple of minutes. I could ramble on but I will quit.

Second tip. Elk are NOT whitetails. Do NOT hunt them as if they are because you will be sorry. Heed the comments of the fellas before me in this thread they know what they are talking about.

ElkStalker - I have a buddy from Valentine that may join me this year with his 2 boys. I hunt and fish Valentine NE area some and normally do well.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We hunted unit 34 down in the southeast part of the state, it was great and if the weather cooperated I think we would have all filled our tags.

This is not a joke at all. If a guide couldn't put you on elk in 34 then he doesn't even deserve a chance to be called a guide. 34 is one of the top units in the state to Elk hunt because of it's numbers and ease to hunt. I am really sorry for your troubles. I DIY archery hunted 34 last season and had shot opportunities at elk every day. I was pretty picky though. I absolutely love this unit

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome tips!! My buddy is really wanting to hunt them with bows, but I would prefer my savage 300 win mag. Mainly, because of the above listed reasons of guys shooting elk 300 + yards away. I really want to kill a big bull, but understand it may take several trips. I would just hate to pay for a guide and come home with nothing.

doug1949

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
consider researching areas in colorado(CPW has lots of information available) and zeroing in on an area that looks good to you, then book a guided hunt in that area. you will learn alot about hunting elk and the area from the guide. I suggest studying the national forest areas because you can book a guided hunt on private land adjacent to the national forest your first year , then do a DIY hunt in the national forest the second year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom