Elk Hunting... is it worth the coin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering elk hunting next year. I'm really favoring New Mexico, as I've heard it's not hunted as hard as Colorado. Plus, at lower elevations you aren't dealing with deep snow like in Colorado.

I really want to go, but don't want to spend over $5k at most. I've thought about a DIY type hunt with a landowners tag, but would need help from friends i.e. to carry gear, to carry the elk out etc.. Guided hunts look like they would be more enjoyable, but seem costly. Has anyone elk hunted DIY or guided? In short, was it worth it? Love to hear anything.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hunted elk in New Mexico for 12 years on a DIY. Coming home to whitetails does not begin to compare. In 12 years of hunting we have killed 3-4 elk in 3 days and struck out only twice in 12 years. Yes, it is worth it. We hunt in January during a special winter migration hunt. We pray for snow and at least a foot of it to drive the herds out of the high country. We see some bulls and some nice ones too, but we are hunting cows. Do not for a minute think that hunting cows is a chip shot or no sport. Wehave shot them at 75 yds and 400+ yds 3/4 mile up a steep snow covered mountain. You work for your elk and you earn them. I have been so many years that its just what we do in January. The private ranch is almost a third home for me. I had forgotten the beauty of the ranch in the winter until Dennis Hoddy joined us this year and posted pictures of the ranch. It is breathtaking.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hunted elk in New Mexico for 12 years on a DIY. Coming home to whitetails does not begin to compare. In 12 years of hunting we have killed 3-4 elk in 3 days and struck out only twice in 12 years. Yes, it is worth it. We hunt in January during a special winter migration hunt. We pray for snow and at least a foot of it to drive the herds out of the high country. We see some bulls and some nice ones too, but we are hunting cows. Do not for a minute think that hunting cows is a chip shot or no sport. Wehave shot them at 75 yds and 400+ yds 3/4 mile up a steep snow covered mountain. You work for your elk and you earn them. I have been so many years that its just what we do in January. The private ranch is almost a third home for me. I had forgotten the beauty of the ranch in the winter until Dennis Hoddy joined us this year and posted pictures of the ranch. It is breathtaking.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the ranch?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to start applying every year for preference points in Colorado and start applying every year for a NM elk tag. Colorado has some good hunting in draw areas and some in over-the-counter areas but it helps to know someone with recent scouting experience and advice. It is hard to go up there and have success in a week long hunt. NM is awesome but hard to get a tag in. Start next spring and keep applying for good areas till you get one....or pay the dough and get a good outfitter and you will have a better chance. I would rather go every 5 years in a good area than every year and spend money without seeing elk. I have hunted Colorado probably 10 years and killed 2 elk with one chance at another. The two I killed were in good draw areas and well worth the wait. PM me if you need more info but that is my 2 cents.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, it is worth every dollar I have ever put into it.

NM is a draw only state. Unless you buy a landowners voucher. Bull tags will run 1500-5000 for a bull tag and 250-400 for a cow tag. That price does not include the price of the tag its self either.

I have hunted NM for several years, both deer and elk on DIY hunts and enjoy all of it. I have been toying with a Colorado DIY hunt for elk on the years I don't draw in NM because those tags are getting fewer and farther between for NR hunters and I don't have the money to buy a bull tag.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might consider buying an over the counter tag in Colorado. Go to one of those crowded public areas and stalk the black timber.
Stay away from the 4 wheeler trails and the meadows. Creep around in the thick stuff, and let the idiots drive the game to you.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting information. I didn't realize it was so hard to obtain a tag. I've thought about DIY, but being that it's my 1st elk hunt I was hoping for some help from a guide. I just don't want to spend any more than $5k. Would I be stupid to go after an elk with my bow? I've got another guy wanting to go, but he really wants to use a bow. I just wonder how hard it will be to get super close to a bull elk. With a rifle I could take one at 300 yards, whereas, with a bow I would prefer 40 yards or under. I would just hate to come home empty handed and have spent a lot of money.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion if you would JUST HATE TO COME HOME EMPTY HANDED then I would consider hunting something else..I've hunted elk a couple of times in Colorado and have yet to fire a shot..But I had a wonderful time and a lifetime of memories. To me there is so much more to a hunt then just the kill..But that is just my opinion..

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion if you would JUST HATE TO COME HOME EMPTY HANDED then I would consider hunting something else..I've hunted elk a couple of times in Colorado and have yet to fire a shot..But I had a wonderful time and a lifetime of memories. To me there is so much more to a hunt then just the kill..But that is just my opinion..

Well, I mean to say that I want to at least see some bulls. If I'm dropping a lot of coin I want to see something. I found some outfitters who guarantee a shot opportunity or you don't pay, but they want more money for those type of hunts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom