Elk Hunting... is it worth the coin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, I understand the more money thing..It seems it cost more everyday to just live not counting the hunting and playing stuff. Dennis and I work with a guy that owns around 2000 acres in northwest colorado..He has a small group of guys that's been hunting elk with him for many years..I know that some years it seems they all take a bull and then some years they don't even see a bull. In 2009 I think there was only one bull taken and in 2010 they all took a nice bull..I think where his property lays it all depends on the weather and migration. Either way hunting elk in the high country to me has no equal. From the nice snows to the yellow aspens and the dark timber, it sure looks like what I would consider God's country..Hope you get to experience it for yourself.........Viking

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a semi guided hunt in New Mexico this last fall and wish I hadn't spent the money. The camp was ok but I wasn't overly impressed with any of the guides in camp and we never saw an elk with the guide in three days, other than before and after shooting hours on our way into or out of camp. It was an odd year weather wise but I feel that I would have been better off on my own. The only bright spot was we really learned the area good so next time I go I'll know where to start.

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might consider buying an over the counter tag in Colorado. Go to one of those crowded public areas and stalk the black timber.
Stay away from the 4 wheeler trails and the meadows. Creep around in the thick stuff, and let the idiots drive the game to you.

That sounds a little sarcastic but is quite true. I hunted Colorado for 12 years, all over the counter but for one year I drew a decent area. My first year I was stationed in Colo Springs so I had a little advantage of a few days scouting. Turned out I was snowed out of that area and went to another. I only hunted for Bulls and had a self imposed rule that I would never shoot one smaller than another I had taken. In 12 years, all DIY, living in Colorado for a couple of those and in Texas and Oklahoma the rest of the time, I took 11 Bulls. My first was an average 3 point (western count) and my last was one I probably could never beat. Now I only hunt them with a camera when I happen to be there on a trout trip. Back to ignerntbend's comment. My longest shot was 62 paces. All hunting was in extremely heavy black timber at least a mile, and sometimes three or four, from the nearest 4x4 road. I tent camped at the end of the 4x4 trails and then would leave camp each morning 3-4 hours before daybreak. I usually hunted alone but sometimes had one or two guys in the tent camp. One Bull took me four days to get it back to camp. I have never enjoyed hunting anything near as much as those trips. I basically quit hunting deer in Oklahoma after Colorado Elk hunting.

My suggestion would be to study Colorado Wildlife department records and publication to identify an area you want to get very familiar with. Buy an over the counter cow tag the first year (they used to be cheaper - ?) and go have fun. Be prepared for possible extreme weather, but that's part of the fun.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a semi guided hunt in New Mexico this last fall and wish I hadn't spent the money. The camp was ok but I wasn't overly impressed with any of the guides in camp and we never saw an elk with the guide in three days, other than before and after shooting hours on our way into or out of camp. It was an odd year weather wise but I feel that I would have been better off on my own. The only bright spot was we really learned the area good so next time I go I'll know where to start.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. When you take off that much time and spend a good chunk of money you expect to at least see something. I know that's why they call it hunting, but man, that's tough. So, you would go back to New Mexico? Does anyone consider New Mexico as pretty as Colorado? Part of the reason I want to go is for the scenery.

I found a place in Idaho that looks really pretty and they guarantee an elk, but it's about $6k. I've e-mailed them, but I'm afraid it's going to be a fenced in deal. Granted, it could be several thousand acres, but I don't think that would be for me. My wife gave the okay for a nice elk hunt, but I don't think this will be a yearly deal by any means. More than likely, I would be lucky to do it once every 5 - 10 years. So, I want to make sure I make the hunt count, if that makes sense.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds a little sarcastic but is quite true. I hunted Colorado for 12 years, all over the counter but for one year I drew a decent area. My first year I was stationed in Colo Springs so I had a little advantage of a few days scouting. Turned out I was snowed out of that area and went to another. I only hunted for Bulls and had a self imposed rule that I would never shoot one smaller than another I had taken. In 12 years, all DIY, living in Colorado for a couple of those and in Texas and Oklahoma the rest of the time, I took 11 Bulls. My first was an average 3 point (western count) and my last was one I probably could never beat. Now I only hunt them with a camera when I happen to be there on a trout trip. Back to ignerntbend's comment. My longest shot was 62 paces. All hunting was in extremely heavy black timber at least a mile, and sometimes three or four, from the nearest 4x4 road. I tent camped at the end of the 4x4 trails and then would leave camp each morning 3-4 hours before daybreak. I usually hunted alone but sometimes had one or two guys in the tent camp. One Bull took me four days to get it back to camp. I have never enjoyed hunting anything near as much as those trips. I basically quit hunting deer in Oklahoma after Colorado Elk hunting.

My suggestion would be to study Colorado Wildlife department records and publication to identify an area you want to get very familiar with. Buy an over the counter cow tag the first year (they used to be cheaper - ?) and go have fun. Be prepared for possible extreme weather, but that's part of the fun.

Awesome info!!! Thanks!!!

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess after reading my post it sounded like I had a suck time but I really didn't. I love hunting, "successful" or otherwise. I would go back there in a second if I ever draw out again. However, starting next year, I heard NM is making it tougher for nonresident's to draw out unless they go through the guide sponsored drawing. I'll still put in but not for a guided hunt. We hunted unit 34 down in the southeast part of the state, it was great and if the weather cooperated I think we would have all filled our tags.
I'm giving Colorado a shot for the first time this year, we're buying over the counter and we'll see how it goes. The group I hunt with is a fun group so we always have a good time.
I grew up hunting Montana but due to the predator situation up there, numbers have come down quite a bit, I only put in for mule deer tags up there now. There's still some great elk hunting but it's tough to draw a good tag for a good area and they need to work on their drawing system some before I'll put in as a nonresident for elk again.
I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer DIY, that way, whether you fill your tag or not, the only one you have to blame is yourself and your experience is what you make of it. Then you don't have a guide or an outfitter to blame:)
No matter what way you decide, the first time you see one up close and personal, you'll be hooked for life, good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first elk hunt this year in January. I didn't score, but that was secondary to the quality of the hunt.
I had a cow tag, and had close encounters with bulls, but no cows.
I hunt to be outdoors and experience the challenges of the hunt, and enjoy what the big guy up there has put on this earth for us.
Spent several days following cougar, elk, and mule deer tracks in the snow, wondering of some of my early hero's like Jim Bridger had walked this same ground 150 years ago, finding old artifacts left over from the gold rush days, and just spending time sitting on the mountain top reflecting on what a great adventure I was having, and soaking up some of the greatest scenery in the world.
All I can say, is I'm ready for more, and if I kill one, thats just a bonus.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010088.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010095.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0145.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010014_4.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010016_2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010013_4.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just gotta try it for yourself. Some people love elk hunting and some hate it. Its certainly not for everybody. Public land and private land hunts can be so different its like night and day. Furthermore DIY versus guided is very different too. Some people simply aren't prepared for the hard manual labor and know how of packing an elk out of the mountains. With guided hunts this typically isn't a huge concern.

If you decide to DIY on public be prepared eat A LOT of tags. As mentioned above, saving pref points and getting drawn for quality areas will significantly increase your chance of success. I hate paying to hunt, just not in my blood. Futhermore its a whale of a lot cheaper to DIY. By that I mean you can literally do SEVERAL DIY hunts for the cost of one quality guided private land hunt. I prefer the DIY and I get to go whenever I want. I usually go every year, but sometimes get too tied up on other hunts.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - We need to pray for rain because New Mexico is dry and the elk are eating up the grass standing near the cattle. More rain means more grass means Jenny is happy and maybe we all will limit this year again. :)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One pointer. Western Colorado all looks like great elk country and looks like there could be an elk behind every tree. It is not so. Don't waste a lot of time hunting where the elk are not. Move fast and cover lots of ground until you start finding good sign and then slow down. The elk are in groups in certain areas that they like and you have to find those areas. It is a terrible waste of time and you will come home disappointed if you spend all your time in great looking elk country with no elk there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom