Competition Questions.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in taking part in one/some of the upcoming handgun shooting competitions...based on overheard conversations at the range, some of them sound fun. I have NEVER competed in any firearm competition, except friendly against the friends I go to the range with.
Is a .22 Magnum allowed to compete in the same class/division as a .22LR?
Are Semi-Autos and Revolvers allowed to compete in the same class/division?
What Gun(s), Equipment, Ammo, .... do I need to have/bring, besides Eye and Ear protection? Does this change depending on which range is hosting the event?
What does it cost to enter/compete for a day?
Can I buy lunch there or do I need to pack an Ice Chest with snacks?

Thank you all in advance for answering the new guys "Dumb" questions.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Steel Challenge Rules

I've just gotten involved in SC and it's a hoot. I'm shooting rimfire with iron sights. My firearm is a Ruger 22/45.

.22mag isn't permitted according to the rules. If you shoot centerfire you'll need a holster. Rimfire doesn't use a holster but you'll need a gun bag or rug to place the gun in at the end of your stage. Rimfire starts from a ready position with gun pointed at a spot/flag several feet ahead of the shooting box. Haven't seen anyone shoot the event yet with a revolver but I'm sure that someone does. You'll need speed loaders if you do. For a semi-auto, you'll need at least five 10-round mags but you can get by with three if you can get others to reload the first two used while you fire the third then use the two loaded for you for the fourth and fifth strings. Each stage requires at least 25 rounds (perfect score). Since I suck I usually shoot 30-35 rounds per stage.

Cost varies, expect $10-15 for the entry fee, another $5 for a second gun seems the norm. I believe two guns is the max you can shoot at an event.

Bring a lawn chair, water for hydration, food if you want.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the answers chNge depending on what competition your shooting.

Some don't allow below a 9mm. Some require lots of ammo like steel challenge, while others like idpa require less.

I don't know if anything allows 22mag. Some are centerfire only, others have a rimfire division but usually that means 22lr.

If rimfire is allowed it is allways in a different division than centerfire.

If revolvers are allowed they usually are in a different division than semis.

What do you want to shoot?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot an IDPA match for the first time a couple weeks ago and I can say you will want to be shooting an auto with AT LEAST 10+1 capacity and a MINIMUM of 3 mags total, so 2 spares. When you sign up they will tell you how many rounds you will need. I always take more, like 25-50% more.

I shot a 7+1 1911 and found myself needing to reload more than I wanted to be comparatively speaking and on targets requiring 6 shots it really puts you at a disadvantage when there are 2 or 3 more targets requiring two COM hits each between you and cover to reload.

A wheel gun would be a PITA if you ask me because of the stipulations that they have in most stages of needing to be behind cover when reloading. On the other hand you may win your division on a given weekend because I didn't see anyone shooting a revolver :)

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a bunch of great types of competitions out there. Rather than tell you about all of them which would fill a couple pages it's probably easier for you to tell us what guns your currently own and we can point you in the most logical direction for those guns.

I have a bunch of YouTube videos of me shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge, ICORE, and 3 gun. Click on the "MY VIDEOS" link in my signature and see if any of those catch your attention.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesse forgot to pimp his incredibly helpful area match list that that begins this forum. Jesse's suggestion of telling us what you have available is great advice. Hopefully you have something that will work as is. I went to a watch a couple of matches first as I was reluctant (aka embarrassed, scared, intimidated) to take my gear the first time. That was a mistake. Go watch some matches in your area. But I warn you, you will wish you would participated. And most clubs let you shoot the first match free.

If shooting paper targets, just shoot the match to get a feel for what its like. You don't even have to finish stages, just shoot your gun capacity and move on. Its for fun.

99% of participants in practical shooting want to promote the sport and will go out of their way to help.

Just keep the muzzle down range and everything else is gravy. Your third match you will be laughing at how bad you were the first match, but will also be amazed at how fast you improve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom