Confederate flag won't be up for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A CNN commentator has recently argued that it is time to tear down the Jefferson Memorial because he was a slave owner.

Be careful about jumping on the bandwagon to ban the confederate flag. You may be unknowingly be supporting a stealth campaign that would like to rewrite history to a politically correct version.

Great point.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it begins:

Mitch McConnell to Kentucky Capitol: Lose the Jefferson Davis Statue

http://www.nationaljournal.com/poli...itol-lose-the-jefferson-davis-statue-20150623

This is no difference than ICIS destroying the ancient temples and burial grounds in Iraq.
This country has a history. Not everybody likes it, but it's our history.
This backlash about that flag is doing nothing but allowing those with bully pulpits to have a public contest about who is the least racist.
I'll bet if there was a silent vote among the unwashed masses not in public office or looking to be in office, or making money from this, the majority of votes would say the statues should stay.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could that be because the flag is symbolic of terrorizing blacks or is it because you don't respect what your kinfolk were fighting for?
1. That was a battle flag, not the official flag of the confederacy.
Why would anyone be flying a battle flag? The war is ended. Take the battle flag down.

2. I have ancestors that fought for Tennessee and I have ancestors in Ohio that fought for the north.
They would hate that flag.
I'm supposed to choose up sides because why?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can honestly see how seeing the confederate flag can remind black people of a terrible time of segregation and subjugation. I think they should move the whole memorial, flag included.That being said, I need help understanding something cuz I see a blatant double standard on this issue: The American flag flies over almost every American Indian tribal building in the nation. After what the gov't did to them under THAT flag, how is this not a direct offense to not only the tribes but the people protesting in S.Carolina? Shouldn't we remove it to keep people from being offended? Where are the marches, the news commentators, the TV cameras, the OUTRAGE? Also, when you see a kkk rally or some skinheads ranting on TV, you almost ALWAYS see the American flag right next to the swastika and/ or the rebel flag. The klan has used the American flag at every rally for the past 100 years. Why does the same animosity towards the rebel flag not also apply to the American flag? How has one flag been "hijacked" and the other one hasn't?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is no difference than ICIS destroying the ancient temples and burial grounds in Iraq.
This country has a history. Not everybody likes it, but it's our history.
This backlash about that flag is doing nothing but allowing those with bully pulpits to have a public contest about who is the least racist.
I'll bet if there was a silent vote among the unwashed masses not in public office or looking to be in office, or making money from this, the majority of votes would say the statues should stay.

Really? A democratically elected governor orders the peaceful removal of a state-owned flag from state property is the same as ICIS blowing up religious monuments in Iraq after taking the city over by force?

Also, how does this do anything to remove or hide the history of the civil war? Last i checked there are still battlefields, cemeteries, reenactments and private displays of the flag that still happen.

You don't have to look hard for discussion of what should happen to the statues and flags. Ole Miss has been dealing with this for decades, with lots of discussion on both sides of the issue.

In fact, Mississippi voted 2-1 in 2001 to keep the stars and bars on the state flag. But, that was 14 years ago and times and opinions change. I don't know which way a vote would go if held today, but that doesn't mean that the people of a state (either directly or through democratically elected representatives) cannot change, alter or remove the symbols of that state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom