Old gas in vehicle questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a truck that has been sitting for a long time. I just siphoned about 2 gallons out of the rear tank. Gas is very bad. Smells like varnish. If there's some left in the tank when I add a bunch of fresh will that cause a problem? Can I get away with not dropping the tank?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had two instances of bent push rods because of old gas. I would drain and then flush with some diesel,the refuel with top tier gasoline. Maybe some mmo but no seafoam just yet. That has worked for me.
So a bunch of 93 octane. What about octane booster? Could that help with the bent rod issue?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Drain it and save yourself the headaches that will follow. Depending on the vehicle, brand new replacement tanks can be extremely cheap. If it's a fuel injected vehicle, the whole system will have that same crappy fuel in it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rear tanks on the f150’s are a bit above $100. When I had the pump out, I got a box of rags and soaked up as much as I could

Latest posts

Top Bottom