Confederate flag won't be up for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that's true. Ban the stars and bars on the SC ground, it doesn't take the hate away from the skinheads that want to wave that flag. They might not be able to wave it, but it doesn't stop their idiotic actions.

Ban the stars and bars from flying over public property because it has become the symbol of hate groups. The flag is no longer associated with the confederate states, but with killing blacks.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Confederate flag too. It represents rebellion and secession -- ideas which were overdue in 1861, and are way past overdue now.

It should not be forgotten that the Confederate flag is first and foremost a military insignia -- a Battle Flag. It was flown in the face of an invading enemy which was attempting to subjugate people under a government that they did not consent to be governed by, against all the basic principles of the American Revolution. It was flown by men who were, above all else, defendng their homes and families from the horrors of war against a brutal invader.

I am glad every time I see the flag, because it is a reminder that though history is written by the victors, not everybody buys the official story and all the Lincoln and Union fellating that goes along with it. There are still plenty of folks who realize that all the civics talk on "government by the consent of the governed" is all bogus. It is a reminder that the idea of secession is not dead, and gives me some shred of hope that the bloated U.S. Federal Government's stranglehold on every aspect of life in this country may one day be broken.

Does the flag represent slavery too? I suppose in a roundabout way it does, being a military insignia for armies which fought for a nation where slavery was practiced for a little less than 5 years... much in the same way the Stars and Stripes represent a nation where slavery was practiced for some 85 years, and whose founding document explicitly endorses it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1382.jpg

You may be a redneck if:

Your first reaction is....

A. "Nice fish!"

B. "I wonder where he caught them?"

C. "Have we got plenty of oil and cornmeal?"

SM Rider

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Odd that everyone seems to think the battle flag is the official flag of the CSA. Media of course regurgitates what their peers say without bothering to do some research. And everyone, including many here, do the same.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my only point is that banning words,symbols, or other inanimate objects does not change anyone's thoughts,beliefs, or actions. Balkanization is alive and well in our country, grouping people by race, religion, income, and politics has been used for centuries by .govs. Keep the people fighting/arguing and then they don't have time to ask how they are being manipulated or how to correct problems in the .gov. While we are arguing over a flag, DC has moved their trade deals that will override our constitution on many levels.

You're 100% correct about banning symbols. But removing an image from state property isn't a ban on a symbol. Individuals are still free to show it, fly it, wear it, tattoo it, etc. The only change is if, when, where and how the state would present the image. And that absolutely is an issue that should be decided by residents of that state or their representatives.

Ban the stars and bars from flying over public property because it has become the symbol of hate groups. The flag is no longer associated with the confederate states, but with killing blacks.

Again, i think the key here is public property. Why shouldn't black residents of a state have a say in what symbol or flag the state flies over public property?

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd that everyone seems to think the battle flag is the official flag of the CSA. Media of course regurgitates what their peers say without bothering to do some research. And everyone, including many here, do the same.

Whether it was the official flag or not, it's association with the confederacy is not in doubt. Nor its association with the oppression and terror that occurred after the war in many of these states that now 'proudly' fly it.

If we're doing research, lets make sure to include it's use by the Klan and note the number of blacks that were threatened and attacked by them. Or the number of people killed while we are at it.

The flag has it's place in history and can still be honored, but it also has a past that is often ignored by its supporters.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is turning out to be more interesting than I thought it would be All across the South legislators are scrambling to haul down the colors. But it is not stopping there. The flag on license plates is to be stricken in Virginia and Georgia. Now, the Nation comes to the nitty gritty as they haul down statues of the South's great generals and prohibit display of the battle standard not only on state property, but license plates as well.

this is likely in part because the supreme court just ruled that states can control what is displayed on license plates and that refusing to offer one image (the flag) or another does not constitute a violation of free speech since the person is still free to place a large stars and bars bumper sticker on their car right next to the plate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom