Contest Coyote hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We started the day with high hopes of doing well. We placed 5th in the Elk City contest with 8 coyotes so we thought for sure we would be able to do well again.

The heat and the wind gave us hell all day. We called and had many many dry stands. Some we called in and just weren't able to get a shot on.

Our first dog came at about 8:30. We called and were busted by a coyote that must've seen us well before we saw him. We never got a shot on him but kept calling. This female came in from down wind and by the time we saw her she was spooked. We barked and she gave us a look. Alan sent a 70 grain .243 and hit her back leg. We didn't see her run and she was on a ridge so we weren't really sure if he dropped her or if she slipped off the back side of the ridge. We walked up to find her chewing on her leg and she took off. My brother nailed her with a 50 grain 22-250 HP. She was done. Not a very big coyote and actually won us small dog of the contest.

Here's a coyote that we saw when walking in. We got down and hit the call. The coyote had seen us but really didn't know what we were. I was able to see it and could have attempted a 200+ yard shot but decided to wait and let the situation play out. When the coyote figured out it couldn't smell us, it set out to get down wind. I motioned to our hunting partner Alan and he set off to cut the coyote off before she could wind us. He actually got behind the coyote, found the trail it used to cross a creek, and followed in behind it. The coyote stopped about 150 yards from the call watching it. My brother was about to shoot when Alan let a 70 grain .243 fly from 65 yards from the coyote. She dropped. We spent a good 25-30 minutes after this one dog, and we were glad to get her.

[Broken External Image]

Our third coyote was called in to an edge of an open grass field. She was bedded down in some tall weeds and just decided to investigate the sound. She thought she was still in cover but my brothers 22-250 put her down.

[Broken External Image]

We saw several more and Alan attempted a shot at 500+ on a runnig coyote to no avail. I only shot 3 times at a running coyote all day. Compared to the Elk City contest where I shot 20 times and killed 5, I barely got any action yesterday. Yesterdays heat and wind was tough but we still killed the second most dogs of the day. First place had 4 coyotes, second place had 2 coyotes and a bobcat, and we placed third with 3 coyotes. The bobcat was the tie breaker.

The contest was a well run contest and they gave away probably 10 prizes including hats, hand calls, and a FoxPro Spitfire. The Spitfire actually had to be drawn twice because the first ticket drawn the team wasn't there. That's sucks for that guy.

I've been in contact with the tournament director and he plans on having a lie detector test for next years tournament in hopes of getting more teams. Also he will have door prizes again, probably more with hopes of more teams.

Here we are dropping the coyotes off in the usual spot.

My brother
[Broken External Image]

Me
[Broken External Image]

My brother with the "2011 Pile"
[Broken External Image]

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome post. Man I am so excited about this contest on Saturday. It will be my first. I have never been hunting for them so it will be a new experience. I did go out with a buddy to one of the spots we will be hunting and I tried my 5
$5 rabbit distress call and in under a minute my buddy is tapping on my shoulder telling me we got a yote headed our way. I had my AR and could have shot it but I will wait and hope to make some money off of him come Saturday. Hey worm what kind of call do you use? Foxpro is my guess? Also you going to be participating in the Mcloud hunt?

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying you called one in and didn't shoot him, and expect to call him in again? Let me know how that works out for ya.

Yes we used a FoxPro. We will not be participating in the McCloud tournament.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah wormy I passed on the yote. There is zero hunting pressure at this spot and according to the guys at the predator hunting seminar I went to last week said that you can try a spot even a few days later after you botched a shot. There are quite a few in the area so maybe I will pop 1 of its relatives. Looks like I should have shot him though. Oh well, there is next time.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's always a chance he will come in but ringing the dinner bell and when he gets there and finds nothing but humans or human scent makes it tougher the next time. Not saying it isn't possible but it does hurt the odds.

Coyote seminar eh? Never been to one of those.

waffles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I think that is what they called it. It was at the bass pro in broken arrow. There was 2 guys speaking. One specialized in hunting bobcats the other coyotes. It was pretty informative I think for a novice. And yeah that totally makes sense about the whole dinner bell but no dinner. Won't make that mistake twice.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure who they were. Winners had 4 coyotes. Pretty good considering the conditions on Saturday.

We were about to call two that we had spotted in the middle of our wheat field when the game warden pulled up. We talked for a few minutes and he apologized for messing up our hunt because by then the coyotes had slipped off into a creek. He was a good guy. He said they were getting calls all morning about people shooting from the road and had a tag number turned in that came back to a Yukon police officer. Sucks for that guy. We came back a few hours later to try to call the two we had seen but they were long gone.
It was actually kinda shocking to see a game warden but at the same time I was thankful they were out doing their job catching the cheaters.

How was the pistol match last night Lonnie?

Latest posts

Top Bottom