Controlled Hunt at Lex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This Wednesday is my controlled deer hunt at Lexington. It'll be my first ever rifle hunt, since neither Lex nor Thunderbird have regular rifle seasons.

I'm hoping I can get my first ever deer! Anyone done this hunt in the past and have any tips? I'm thinking of going to the southeast side, away from the main WMA.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hunted there yesterday. I saw more orange that at an OSU game.
Usually this hunt is a guaranteed deer, but this year I saw only 4 does and they were all running for their lives. Get as far from the road as you can and maybe you'll do some good. Good luck!

Edit: I was hunting the SE side. You may have some luck if you go west of the prison, not too many folks out that way.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it is true at Lexington but some of the PHAs I have been on have had more deer along the road and less hunters near the roads. Everyone thought they needed to get a long ways off and no one was hunting within 100 yrds of the roads and that is where the deer were staying.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SoonerATC,
I will be there Wednesday as well. I've been twice before. 2003 and 1996, both times I saw guys take deer from the south central area of the wma. I saw several deer both years, none close enough to shoot. The brush is pretty thick, Good Luck. See you at check-in.

TerryD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
hunted the controlled hunt there 2 years ago, only saw one buck and he was in a hurry to get somewhere, lol. And that was the only one my father or i saw that day

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there twice,Hunted near the lake,right below the Levey side good deer sign seen a few deer.Found some food plots shot deer there in the middle of the wma.Good Luck

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive hunted there quite a bit. Never taken a deer from there, but have always seen the most deer at teh first pull off on the left once you come throught the front gate. Just walk that trail down about 1/2 mile or so

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We (Myself, Dad, Uncle,and long time friend) got drawn for a group hunt last saturday. We all went and because our friend needed to use a 4 wheeler (handicapped Vet) we hunted pretty close in. I think maybe the spot one of the other guys was talking about. We parked our trucks in the first pull off on the left after you get past the campers etc. There is a pipe fence there. Anyhow there is a planted field pretty close. I hunted on the other side of the road. Found a small pond in the morning and just sat under a tree about 50 yards away from it till about 11. Came back to the truck and ate then walked down the road till I found a good deer trail and took it in. Walked alot. Followed the deer trail (VERY DEEP) I thought they were cow trails. Never saw, heard a thing. I used a grunt call alittle but never did hear much less see anything. That night I walked down the road and went in about 50yards and sat under a tree watching a pretty big opening. Nothing. Matter of fact no one in our group saw a thing. We checked before we left for the days stats. 101 hunters...6 deer.

Those dont seem like good odds to me. They just were not moving. But was a great day out in the woods. Loved every minute. Good luck!!!

From what ive heard Id go far south. But from the trails etc there are deer all over that place. Just a matter of when they are moving. And as a side note it is VERY thick everywhere. Could stand to have a controlled fire to burn out all that greenbriar brush etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom