Corn Prices and Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last season I quit feeding/baiting deer. Last year I actually enjoyed deer hunting again. And I’m looking forward to this season like I used to when I was a kid.
I get this. I have two places I hunt, one is near Henryetta. I plant wheat and run two feeders on it. Many kids/young men have killed their first deer there. It's not difficult lol.

The other place is mostly woods, lots of oak and hickory. No feeders, although there's a patch of wheat the lease guy plants on the far side.

I try to spend the last half of the season at the "no feeder" place. It's more of a hunt, not a shooting gallery.

428cobra

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Deer basically don't need a water hole for the most part. Woody browse is 45% water. Their systems have developed where they can extract that. During the big drought in the 2010 years I think it was, we used molasses tubs everywhere to create watering stations. The deer never used them, but made great hot tubs for the coons that did! LOL.
I'm talking off the cuff now and don't know if this is true, but during that three year drought we saw tons of fawn skulls in the following spring. Speculation is that does with fawns need more water to make milk for the fawns.
There are people out there that know more about that issue than I do, so I hope they contribute.
There was definitely a reduction in the deer herd during that time frame. Whether it was from the drought or something else we'll probably never know. It took about 4 years for my properties to recover from that event. What I mean by recover is the numbers and quality of the herd. My 2 cents

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried putting in some 5/32” 14% protein pellets in my Field Pro feeder with the spinner. As long as it doesn’t cake up inside the barrel, not from moisture caking though, it’ll flow out like it’s supposed to.

More times than not I’ve got to either stick a wire up through the funnel or shake the crap out of the whole feeder to get it un-caked or un-stuck.

Going back to corn after I get the pellets out of it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For you guys buying corn in bulk. What method are you using to get the corn into the feeder drum? Portable 12v/PTO auger, 5 gallon buckets or.........? trying to figure out if I should look at buying bulk or paying a extra and backing my truck up to the feeder drum and standing on the bed rails to dump bags.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For you guys buying corn in bulk. What method are you using to get the corn into the feeder drum? Portable 12v/PTO auger, 5 gallon buckets or.........? trying to figure out if I should look at buying bulk or paying a extra and backing my truck up to the feeder drum and standing on the bed rails to dump bags.
I buy semi loads and they put it in an overhead bin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom