Corn Prices and Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was definitely a reduction in the deer herd during that time frame. Whether it was from the drought or something else we'll probably never know. It took about 4 years for my properties to recover from that event. What I mean by recover is the numbers and quality of the herd. My 2 cents
My place still hasn’t fully recovered to the same deer numbers prior to the 2011-2013 drought, BUT the buck quality has been better since the numbers dropped. This is a very unscientific example, but in the 7 years we hunted the place prior to the drought, only one buck over 170” was killed and only about four in the 150 class. Since the drought, there have been three bucks over 170” killed and seven high 150 to 160 class bucks.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For you guys buying corn in bulk. What method are you using to get the corn into the feeder drum? Portable 12v/PTO auger, 5 gallon buckets or.........? trying to figure out if I should look at buying bulk or paying a extra and backing my truck up to the feeder drum and standing on the bed rails to dump bags.
My bulk goes into an Army surplus 1 1/4 ton military trailer, then gets bucketed into the drums while standing in the back. It's a PITA method.
For years, I've been looking for a self-contained bunker feeder that has a Briggs motor on it with an auger and highway tires, so I can park it in my shop and drag it 45 miles to the farms with feeders to keep them full. I've found a few, but the 5 figure price tag makes that 5 gallon bucket method much more palatable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mix turnips in every winter food plot I plant. I am usually at my cabin by myself so have sone scrambled eggs and turnip greens several times through the fall hunting season.
Thats about the only reason I plant turnips. We like them as well as potatoes. Lots of different ways to prepare them and the greens.
The deer won't eat the leaves until a light frost which may not come until after gun season is happening in our neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom