Court upholds police pointing gun at lawful carrier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron Driver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr. Attorney probably ran into the local "Bad Apple" and, being a typical attorney (I can stereotype my own profession on here, right?) was not afraid of informing Mr. Bad Apple that he knew his rights. Whether or not he was repsectful, I have no idea. Based on the officer's actions, I'm guessing he was a tad less than polite.

That being said, once the officer found a facially valid license (couldn't he run the guy's permit and determine if it was valid? They can in AR), he should let the citizen go. Perhaps this officer was picked on too much in elementary school... perhaps the lawyer was too.

If this really is as simple as it appears in the article, then I would not settle for anything less than a public apology from the officer himself.

Anyone know if he got his firearm and ammo back? I've heard that many departments will not return ammo.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Circuit court rulings are frequently held as valid in other circuits if that circuit does not have a contrary ruling.

Let's hope that isn't the case here, as I want nothing to do with anything that originated in Massachusetts. Legally speaking. ;)

ETA: OK, this is the part that's sketchy:

At some point a police officer, J.B. Stern, who lived up to his last name, caught a glimpse of the attorney's pistol,

Attorney was walking down the street, and the officer saw his CCW from the car? Or was he responding to a "man with a gun" call?

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's hope that isn't the case here, as I want nothing to do with anything that originated in Massachusetts. Legally speaking. ;)

ETA: OK, this is the part that's sketchy:

Attorney was walking down the street, and the officer saw his CCW from the car? Or was he responding to a "man with a gun" call?

Does it matter?

CiscoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. . . Attorney was walking down the street, and the officer saw his CCW from the car? Or was he responding to a "man with a gun" call?

I don't think the beginning of this story or the middle part is important.

Whatever steps led to the guy's needing to show the officer his permit is not of great import. Once the guy showed the officer he was legal to carry, the officer should have ended the dialog -- or perhaps given the guy a few friendly pointers on concealing (even if the attorney was being a jerk -- some hills aren't worth dying for).

Of course -- take all this with a grain of salt . . . I live in Oklahoma. I have had 3 or 4 run ins with the cops in the last year (I was on the good side of the law in each one). In all of them, at one point or another we talked about guns, and conceal and carry. I can't imagine this same story in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom