Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That would be my concern (using pheasant or turkey loads for a big dog). I wonder how many of the shooters (who say they've killed yotes with such) actually wounded some which ran off.

I've never used shotgun when hunting coyotes, but they (yotes) get really big in Seminole. As in, "..how'd that stray calf get in the pasture?" "That's no calf! That's a coyote!"
NW OK has the biggest yotes and cats in the state, never had any issues as of yet. I don't consider to have "killed it" unless I can walk up to it laying there lol.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be clear, are you using #4 birdshot or #4 buckshot?

#4 birdshot is not sufficient to kill a yote probably past 25-30 yards. I’ve seen bird dogs get hit with a pretty good load of 4’s pheasant hunting and they just keep on hunting. If you’re shooting at yotes past 40 yards with birdshot, I’d ask you to reconsider.
That's definitely a confusing distinction. I had to go check my inventory and I've got several boxes of 00 buck, and one box of #4 shot (complete with a picture of a turkey on it), but no #4 buckshot. And all this time I thought #4 was #4.

I thought I was ready to take this:
870 turkey gun.jpg

.....after yotes loaded with #4 shot.

As an aside, assuming #4 buckshot, what choke should one use? We're talking about ranges ~40 yards.

Edited to add: None of my sources (Midway, Midsouth, etc) have #4 buckshot. Gunbroker has it for $1.50 / shell. Ouch.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's definitely a confusing distinction. I had to go check my inventory and I've got several boxes of 00 buck, and one box of #4 shot (complete with a picture of a turkey on it), but no #4 buckshot. And all this time I thought #4 was #4.

View attachment 253603

As an aside, assuming #4 buckshot, what choke should one use? We're talking about ranges ~40 yards.

Edited to add: None of my sources (Midway, Midsouth, etc) have #4 buckshot. Gunbroker has it for $1.50 / shell. Ouch.
If you reload, Ballistic Products has #4 buck on sale right now. :anyone:

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Killed lots of coyotes over the years with a shotgun and was always limited here in Oklahoma with what we could use. Now that the regs have changed #4 buck shot is definitely your friend. BB, B, T shot are also good in a predator load if you can find it. I’ve always tried to stay with a full or extra full choke but every gun is different. Sometimes a good modified choke will work. Had a friend killed a gray fox in Arizona a few years ago at 89 yards with a load of BB.
If you ever make it to this side of the state let me know and I will give you some to try. Good luck!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Killed lots of coyotes over the years with a shotgun and was always limited here in Oklahoma with what we could use. Now that the regs have changed #4 buck shot is definitely your friend. BB, B, T shot are also good in a predator load if you can find it. I’ve always tried to stay with a full or extra full choke but every gun is different. Sometimes a good modified choke will work. Had a friend killed a gray fox in Arizona a few years ago at 89 yards with a load of BB.
If you ever make it to this side of the state let me know and I will give you some to try. Good luck!
You just keep sweetening the deal!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 253603

I’ve heard of guys using full and extra full. But, as we all know, every shotgun shoots different.

I just ordered 5 boxes from cabelas. Not terribly cheap, but I feel I got an ok price at $7.99/box. It’s federal too, which I like.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/federal-power-shok-buckshot-shotshells

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pattern density isn't the problem or question

1 pellet will do the job.
Will that pellet penetrate to the vitals?

You must have sufficient mass and energy to penetrate, then, strike vitals. Multiple pellets increase that probality.

Which choke? Only patterning can tell you.
My 870 has excellent patterns with a MOD choke, using 3" BB; taken coyote at 50 yards and turkey at 80 yards.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard of guys using full and extra full. But, as we all know, every shotgun shoots different.

I just ordered 5 boxes from cabelas. Not terribly cheap, but I feel I got an ok price at $7.99/box. It’s federal too, which I like.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/federal-power-shok-buckshot-shotshells
That ought to do what you are looking for. With buckshot a uber tight choke isn't always a good thing. Try the more open chokes, you might be surprised, but try several to see what your gun likes with any given load because every gun seems to be different. My 590A1 would shoot rings around my Benelli with Federal FC buck regardless of what choke I had in it. I could never get the Benelli to pattern as good as that Mossberg. :(

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pattern density isn't the problem or question

1 pellet will do the job.
Will that pellet penetrate to the vitals?

You must have sufficient mass and energy to penetrate, then, strike vitals. Multiple pellets increase that probality.

Which choke? Only patterning can tell you.
My 870 has excellent patterns with a MOD choke, using 3" BB; taken coyote at 50 yards and turkey at 80 yards.

That ought to do what you are looking for. With buckshot a uber tight choke isn't always a good thing. Try the more open chokes, you might be surprised, but try several to see what your gun likes with any given load because every gun seems to be different. My 590A1 would shoot rings around my Benelli with Federal FC buck regardless of what choke I had in it. I could never get the Benelli to pattern as good as that Mossberg. :(
Yeah, now I gotta go pattern everything again before Thursday. I wonder if Wilshire gun will let me take my shotgun out to the 101 yard range? Doubtful.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been listening to this guy today, while he is about as exciting to listen to as watching paint dry, but he does have some good info. He echoed the concerns with the turkey loads, said he shot a coyote from 20 yards in the head after knocking it down with a rifle, when he skinned it, he found the pellets went through the hide, but didn’t puncture the skull.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4C...Q&context=spotify:show:3ZnjQFKzAOP1dT4HnnHsrb
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-806442965/shotgunning-coyotes
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shotgunning-coyotes/id1447993165?i=1000459637784
All the same podcast and episode, but different platforms for whatever works for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom