Coyotes and shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here :D...

1645307781334.png

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't blame you, that would turn me off to shotguns on yotes really quick. I wish we could use something larger than #4 honestly. I'm at a bit of a loss who we cannot harvest any game in OK with anything larger than #4 shot. I feel that letting people at least use T should would be a good way to keep things humane and ethical.
Why only #4 shot? Is that a regulation?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the General Regulations:

Shotgun Pellet Size​

No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than #4 buckshot. Hogs are not considered wildlife; see Small Game/Hog Regulations for shotgun provisions for hogs.

Furbearer Regulations:

Coyote​

Statewide: open year-round

No daily, season or possession limit.

Open statewide year-round, except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and/or any sight dog. Persons attempting to hunt at night must first obtain a permit from the county game warden and must use a shotgun, utilizing size six (6) shot or smaller.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, I haven’t officially checked it, but Hodgdon shows a 1 1/8 oz load and 33.5 grain of Longshot is supposed to produce 1530 fps. Judging by the recoil, I tend to believe it’s true.
There are several powders that can be used to get to 1500 fps. Make sure the shotgun being used can handle the pressures. Modern shotguns probably can but the older ones not so much as you well know.
. Put grandpa's gun back in the safe when shooting these.
My favorite shotgun load runs about 1450 fps. Use it for dove, quail and pheasant. Faster speeds mean less lead that a lot of folks have an issue with.
Kills at longer ranges are much more possible with the higher velocity just like any other projectile.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you could tell the warden your shotgun identifies as a rifle... :lookaroun

So... are shotgun slugs legal for coyotes? If not, how about slugs with a rifled barrel?

Enquiring minds... can really go off on a tangent.
___

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you could tell the warden your shotgun identifies as a rifle... :lookaroun

So... are shotgun slugs legal for coyotes? If not, how about slugs with a rifled barrel?

Enquiring minds... can really go off on a tangent.
___
According to the ODWC:

Coyote​

Statewide: open year-round

No daily, season or possession limit.

Open statewide year-round, except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and/or any sight dog. Persons attempting to hunt at night must first obtain a permit from the county game warden and must use a shotgun, utilizing size six (6) shot or smaller.

Legal Means of Taking​

Firearms or Archery​

• Daylight only: Any legal firearm or archery equipment.

• You can use whatever you want, slugs included. As long as it isn’t nighttime or anything larger than #4 buck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom