Crossbows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Umm, am I reading this right?

Senate Bill 1594 by Sen. Marlatt and Rep. Sanders. Allows crossbows and conventional bows with draw lock devices as a legal means of hunting whenever conventional bows are allowed. Bill would be effective immediately. Signed by the Governor.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/legislation10.htm

This is another one where I would like to see the actual bill as worded.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't believe that this is the first I have heard about this. It was such a big deal when they allowed them for the over 55 crowed. I don't know that I will get one love to shot bow (shot tonight) but also love some back straps for the grill. I am sure that we will see more people in the woods for archery season.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From
http://ecapitol.net/onareports/news.htm

• SB 1594, by Sen. Bryce Marlatt, R-Woodward, and Rep. Mike Sanders, R-Kingfisher, sets the cost of annual hunting licenses for nonresidents hunting game other than deer, antelope or elk at $141 and at $355 for antelope and elk. The bill also increases the cost of an annual nonresident hunting license for an individual hunting in a big game or combination big game and upland game commercial area from $136 to $141. The bill increases the cost of a five-day, nonresident hunting license to hunt game other than deer, antelope, elk or turkey from $69 to $74. The bill establishes a $279 annual nonresident deer archery license that will be valid for hunting all deer allowed during deer archery season but is not valid for controlled hunts; a $279 annual nonresident deer muzzleloader license that will be valid for hunting all deer allowed during deer muzzleloader season but is not valid for controlled hunts; a $279 annual nonresident gun license that will be valid for hunting all deer allowed during deer gun season but is not valid for controlled hunts. The bill eliminates the annual combination hunting licenses for nonresidents hunting one antlered and one antlerless deer that is valid only on private lands not managed by the Department of Wildlife Conservation. The bill directs that $5 from each license be deposited in the Oklahoma Wildlife Stamp Fund. The CCR removes the bill's existing language and replaces it with language that permits the use of crossbows and conventional longbows with a device that permits the bow to be held mechanically at full or partial draw during any open season when conventional longbows may be used legally. The CCR also repeals various sections that prohibit the use of crossbows in hunting. The bill goes into effect on July 1.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the issue? Crossbows and those held at full draw are no more accurate than other bows. The archer still has to do their part, which is the biggest part, the release and follow-thru.

I'm glad to see it.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting...

I disagree a little with Danny however. I think crossbows are much more accurate in most novice hunters hands. Sure, there are those who are experienced with a compounds that are extremely confident and accurate, but this will open it up to a broader audience...if it's true. I don't agree myself as I like compounds, but it doesn't upset me either. I tend to try and find the positives out there on stuff like this. I do think it will result in more youths bow hunting...and could potentially lead to less wounded deer. I just wish they would have one week a year where cross bows were legal and leave the rest of the season for traditional archery. In that case...the state could make a little more money as well by selling cross bow seasonal tags.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wish they would have one week a year where cross bows were legal and leave the rest of the season for traditional archery.

By "traditional archery", you do mean longbows and recurves, right? Because there is NOTHING traditional about a modern compound!

Since modern crossbows and modern compounds have virtually the same accuracy, speed and range, it's a bit hypocritical to say one should be allowed and the other shouldn't.

Maybe they should have a one week season where compounds were legal and leave the rest of the season for real traditional archery equipment.

OR

maybe they should do what they did, allow them all and leave the choice up to the hunter!

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was using the word "traditional" meaning the way it has been the past several years...

I agree with your definition of "traditional archery" as well. I would love to see it go back to longbows and recurves. I would also like to see "primitave arms" go back to flintlock and no scopes... but like I said it doesn't bother me either way. I will be in the woods no matter what the changes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom