Crossbows?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of you keeping this discussion a discussion.
I've been on other boards where it quickly became rabid between traditionalist and crossbow users.:yelclap:

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some states have tried this. It just doesn't work.
Colo. banned scopes and rimfires. After the first year, they reverted back the same law.

Why would it not work? It's the same exact system we have now, we'd just be adding a new season for crossbows. I.E. Regular bow season opens Oct. 1.....crossbow season opens Oct. 15....muzzleloader season opens Oct. 23....etc. We aren't talking about banning anything.

I also agree that the main difference is the draw. That is a huge part of bowhunting. You can fire the crossbow with much less movement. Being able to shoot without moving does make it easier.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a equipment snob either. I think all hunters need to work together to protect the sport and the outdoors. If this brings more responsible hunters into our ranks I'm all for it, but to claim that there is no advantage to using a crossbow over a bow that you have to draw is nonsense.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure x-bows will get part time hunters in the woods more. I know some part-timers that think I'm nuts to set in the stand in September, when the temp is still in the 90s.

Why would you set in the stand in September?

I think that the current market prices of crossbows will keep the archery woods from exploding with new hunters, atleast for a while. Maybe if they become more affordable we might see more hunters but maybe more likely to see more "already archery hunters" switching to the more conventional means. Also if recruitment trends keep falling the woods should become less pressured through each generation. We can speculate all day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think that the current market prices of crossbows will keep the archery woods from exploding with new hunters, atleast for a while. Maybe if they become more affordable we might see more hunters but maybe more likely to see more "already archery hunters" switching to the more conventional means. Also if recruitment trends keep falling the woods should become less pressured through each generation. We can speculate all day.

If he's me, he's sitting in the stand for scouting purposes in Sept.
I agree with the recruitment trends falling off.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's me, he's sitting in the stand for scouting purposes in Sept.
I agree with the recruitment trends falling off.

I try to utilize cameras as much as possible for scouting. I believe the less human activity in an area the better. Especially during high active periods of time. However I do go in the field and scout/view the early season feeding pattern if I can do it from a vantage point that isn't putting my presence at risk. Im a firm believer that the odds of killing a mature buck are best 3 times of the season: First week without pressure and on summer feeding pattern, Peak Rut, and Late season feeding pattern. Obviously I know you can kill one anytime. Not trying to knock anyones tactics, just giving my own.:thumbup3:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think you make a good point here on the prices. I think the price of hunting in general is hurting recruitment more and more. Its getting to the point if you don't own land or can't afford to lease a place you don't have much opportunity. I am not really for or against the crossbow law being expanded. But I would like to see the wildlife laws and changes being left to the wildlife commission and wildlife department.

Reaction score
I just bought my first bow, a Mathews Reezen, off Ebay about 2 months ago. Sole purpose was to extend my hunting season, not because it's more challenging, more traditional, etc. I shoot nearly every evening for about 30 minutes and I really enjoy it. I've have noticed some wrist issues that I thought were gone along with my football days starting to show up again.
Said all that to say this: I'm selling my bow and buying a TAC-15. I never wanted to be a bow hunter, just wanted more days to hunt. Maybe when I master the crossbow and it becomes too easy to shoot a trophy, then I'll try a regular bow again.

Too bad that; but it will still be good for you to have that bow and normal bow skills as well, and you said you enjoy it. You will be able to go to Colo and hunt elk if you want, etc. Or as you say, go back to bow when you want/need more challenge.

I've been hunting with a rifle for 15 years, and it's just as hard to kill a trophy today as it was the day I started hunting, so I don't really expect any hunting to become too easy.

You got that straight - hunting is never easy, unless you have high-fenced personal ranch with extensively managed herd. And even then...

If it goes like Ridghunter predicts and they make a 3 month general season, I'll sell the crossbow and buy another rifle.

It will be a long time before they do that - remember the wildlife dept wants your money from more tags for each season - part of why they probably not too allfired broken up about the legislature doing this - they will sell more archery tags.

I think there are a lot of people out there that will crossbow hunt that would never attempt to bow hunt. Same as there are a lot of people out there that will hunt with an inline, shotgun primed, sabotted, scoped, rifled, 200yd muzzleloader that would never pick up a flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloader.

Yep, absolutely, myself inluding in the muzzleloader part. I think more people will come out and hunt now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom