Deer bones for dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read that some people give the bones to their dogs. Do you prepare them any special way?(cooking, boiling) or just toss them out and let the dogs have them?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my two german shepard are on an all meat diet. they LOVE deer!

it's fine to give dogs what ever kind of raw meat with bones you have access to. key is NOT to cook the bones, which can get brittle when cooked.

even chicken bones are fine raw... but can be dangerous when cooked.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normaly just throw them the bottom have of the leg with the hair and everything on it. I haven't had any problems with this but should I skin it first??

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to get a few deer legs from the processor when I dropped by, give them to my dog. I was his best friend when he'd see me get that out of the truck. He'd eat all the fur, skin, hair, gristle and hoof off, but come summertime he'd still be dragging that leg bone around. Must be really hard, otherwise he would have ate it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think there is any problem with giving a dog deer bones.
That being said I do not give Gunner, my Brittany any.
Reason is, I don't want him to develop any taste for deer at all. It would be terrible if I lost him because he started chasing a deer while we were out bird hunting. If we are processing a deer in the shop and he comes around I get pretty gruff with him, and send him out of the building.
Now that I've stated all of that, the REAL reason is my wife would kick my arse if she found me feeding him deer bones.:anyone:

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was deep into trailhounds most of his adult life. When I was a kid we had a litter of Walker hound pups. They were maybe ten weeks old. We had killed a jackrabbit, skinned it, and threw it into the barn stall where the pups were currently living. They got to fighting over it and one ended up with his throat slit. Bled out. Never saw that happen again, and he raised a bunch of litters of hounds. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom