Deer Hunting Tactics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't sit all day either. I usually sit till 10:30 or 11:00 then back at 2:30 or 3:00. I do it every year, but I never see anything after about 9:30 or before about 4:30 in the evening. You'd think at least once I'd jump something on the way in or out. This will be the first year I've had a chance to hunt over a food plot, so maybe I'll try all day this year.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I killed a nice 8 point a couple of years ago right at dusk. I was hunting with a friend of my fathers and he was about 300 yards away , but to walk out had to walk by my stand. Anyway it was about dusk and I heard something coming through the woods. I thought it was him. It was a doe with a eight point following her. I shot the eight point at about 25 yards DRT. My hunting parnter comes along about 45 minutes later. He said that he had seen the deer before but couldnt get a shot and saw they were heading for my way.

Last year I was hunting the edge of a field. My truck was parked about 500 yards on the other side of the field and up a hill. I got out of my stand around 11 and went over to check out another stand. I climbed up in it but I couldnt set in it comfortably due to shooting left handed and having some limbs in the way. I start down after about 30 min, get halfway down and see movement out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough a couple of deer were coming up the path. I just froze. A couple of does but they never saw or scented me. I go back to the truck. I sit down to eat a sandwich and see a little six point meandering across the field at 1230.

I mostly still hunt whether it is a stand or a blind. We usually stay till around 11 and go back around 2 or 3 and stay till dark. The above stories are just to show that you NEVER know exactly when you are going to see deer, that is a lot of what makes deer hunting so fun.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If anyone can sit in one place for more than 3 hours, my hats off to them. Would if I could, but I can't. Usually 1.5 hours is max before I'm bored to death and/or sleeping. So I have to get up and move, slowly, stalking, until I decide to plop down again for an ambush, or go to a different stand or blind. If I'm sleepy, then I have to stalk hunt only, to stay awake. But that's ok, because stalk hunting is more fun anyway.

Dr. Tad.. just curious, how many deer have you killed after you get up and slowly stalk about??.. That is my last resort and if i do walk while daylight its because i'll hunt my way back to the truck..

deer by far have better senses than us, and while bedded will hear/see you coming..

I watched a group of hunters on public land from a high hill walking around a edge of a big block of timber, and they were at least 100 yards from it.. then 5 does shot out the other side of it, those guys never knew the deer where there.. the wind was in the hunters favor too..

just my opinion

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry not trying to correct or nitpick... but still hunting actually means to move around from spot to spot a little at a time and sitting still in each spot for a little while

yes and no. Its a very slow stalk that if done properly you are stationary more than you are moving. At least that's my version. LOL.

By taking a break, I actually sit down for an hour or so. While I'm still hunting I'll move a few yards, stop long enough to scan every detail of the area and move a few more yards. Planing my movement so that it's as silent as possible and ends up with me taking the most concealed route and stopping next to something that will breakup my outline. When deer aren't moving I've had good luck with this bow hunting and gun hunting.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My biggest deer have all been taken late morning to early afternoon when I've had all I can take in the stand and have to move. Where I hunt, I rarely see anything moving from late afternoon to dark.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed several deer between 10:00 and 1:00, seems that they were pushed out by others leaving stands. Just sit back and enjoy the scenery and quiet time, except first season when dang gnats and skeeters are still out!

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually sit in my stand from an hour before sun up till noon and then take a break for lunch and back in the stand around 3 till sun down.

That being said, I've sat in the tree from sun up to sun down several times. I just can't help but think as soon as I get down the biggest deer of my life will walk under my stand. I've been busted by deer on more than one occasion while I was getting down before sun down.

I've had almost no luck still hunting or stalking after I got down from my stand. I've jumped plenty of deer but they always see me before I see them and I've never been able to get a decent shot. So knowing my limitations I usually just stay in the tree and have seen so many more deer than I do when I'm stalking.

I usually see them right at sun up and sundown but have also seen a few in the middle of the afternoon. Like most have said the rut changes everything...

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late evening has been best for me. On my lease, the time from 10:00 to 2:00 us often real active during the rut. Early morning is usualy a bust for me. I think this year I'll sleep late and set up in the blind about 9:00 am, hunt 'til 2:00, nap, and go back an hour before sundown.

So soon old, so late smart. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom