Deer hunting with an ar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a buddy ask me about deer hunting with an ar, so I figured I would get thought on this. I know many people hunt with ars and they have the accuracy to do it but would a 556 or .223 be able to drop a deer at say 200 yards? I know many factors come into play but let's say he is using good hunting ammo and using a scope on an ar. While on this note would a 16" barrel be advisable or should he step up to an 18".

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With good shot placement... No problem at all. My daughter took a beast last year that field dressed over 180. 168 yd shot and he didn't run 50 yds before piling up. I am confident enough in her shooting ability that I wouldn't hesitate letting her take a 200 yd shot on any deer.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know several guys that have migrated to the AR platform for hunting. Most have transitioned to the 6.8 Grendel or 6.8 SPCII rounds. I just finished building a 6.8 upper for hunting. I wanted something solid for Deer or Pigs. I went with a 16" ARP barrel. All the reading and reviews I came across didn't give me any great benefit to go 18" with this round.

the .223 will do the job at that range. You just have to make sure you do your part.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have knocked down several with a 223 in a bolt action,
even started my son deer hunting with the same gun.
99% is shot placement.

the 6.8 might be better, I would think a 7.62 x 39 would work out to 200 yards also.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep the ar will take a deer, but when that buck of a life time comes out I want the best tool possible.

My ar is for plinking and Tha children to hunt with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom