Dicreet Notification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbarbee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like most CCW holders, I don't like to advertise to everyone I'm around that I carry a pistol. (and some people I'd flat rather they didn't know) Not that they're criminals or felons, just have big mouths and might share that information with the wrong people.

If I'm pulled over with such a person in the vehicle with me, is there a way to discreetly notify the officer I have a weapon on me or in the vehicle, and would rather be questioned about it away from my passengers?

I've considered handing them my driver license and CCW together, maybe with a sticky note attached, but don't know that that'd be enough to get the message across. I would also think it puts the officer in an awkward position because he wants to know where the gun is.

I'd like to hear thoughts, experiences, and opinions from others. (Especially LEO's)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to my mind is...

Why in the hell would you wanna be around people like that to begin with? :anyone:

I don't think there's a single person that I know (and even some that I don't) who doesn't know that anytime I'm vertical, no matter where I'm at and no matter what I'm doing, I have at least one gun on me somewhere.

Plain and simple. If I'm vertical - I'm armed. ;)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why in the hell would you wanna be around people like that to begin with? :anyone:

Certain relatives come to mind. It's not that they'd be a big mouth about it, but I don't feel like being nagged about it from then on.

Also, there may be certain times where I am giving someone a ride and the kind officer decides that my stop wasn't a stop (yeah, I have a BAD habit of California rolls when it's clear).

Or maybe I'm driving the church bus. I guarantee you that would not go over well.

I'm curious as well, because all I've thought about so far was just saying "I've got this too" since the statutes don't say how we have to notify the officer.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way around it, you tell or show your CCw the officer is almost always going to ask about it. The last thing you want to do is tell an officer you have a weapon in some sly or sneaky manner and then start acting funny during the stop. Just tell the officer, follow his or her instructions, then later explain to the bigmouth that it is essential that they not tell anyone about your firearm. Let them know that it could be a matter of life or death and for your safety and that of youir friends and family it must remain a secret.
Like GED, everyone I know understands that I am always armed, everywhere I go. If I cannot carry I do not go.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep plain and simple the best way is to be upfront and honest. There are two types of legal interpretation there is the letter of the law that you alluded to which doesn't specify how to notify the officer however the color of the law is more of the legal intent which what the law is intended to have or not have happen. I personally would not feel comfortable walking the tight rope between the color and letter of the law but to each his own.

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep plain and simple the best way is to be upfront and honest. There are two types of legal interpretation there is the letter of the law that you alluded to which doesn't specify how to notify the officer however the color of the law is more of the legal intent which what the law is intended to have or not have happen.

The law state that you must be carrying the license, and that you must identify the fact that you are carrying.

Although it doesn't specify that you must hand over the card immediately, there's no reason to wait for the officer to ask.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was in a traffic accident , the lady i hit called her hubby and the law . when he walked up i handed him both together he looked them over and handed them back .

then he asked if a report was needed the lady said she didn't know , i told her that if he wrote one i would likely get a ticket . she said she didn't want me to get a ticket " unless you been drinking ,you havent been drinking have you ?" the officer who was fairly young answered for me, " no maam or he would be going to jail ." now i dont know if he meant for the weapon or dui . but she was ok with that . in the end noone but my son me and the officer knew . at the time i had a full beard and long hair but was calm admitted to my error was respectful to all involved . the officer was professional and curteous .

just an everyday occurence except i was armed no big deal . btw this was in claremoore

stay safe
elance

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my choices are break the law and put an officer in a situation where he feels I might be a danger, or create an awkward situation with the person who I decided to invite into my car...well I'm going to choose to obey the law and not make an officer feel any more jumpy about me then I have to.

There is a lot of responsibility that comes with having your CCW permit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom