Preserving **** ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wash your fruit with 1 cup of vinegar and a sink full of water for 15 minutes. Then rinse . Kills off the mold spores.
You can do berries the same. But let them air dry completely then put them in a air tight container. Will extend the freshness.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And btw, I pruned my tomato plants back HARD a couple of weeks ago -- back to bush sized from the overgrown mess of branches that had actually grown over into the raised beds on each side of them. I have 2 BEAUTIFUL bushy tomato plants that are absolutely COVERED with blossoms. If I have any kind of luck at all I am gonna have more tomatoes off this harvest than I did off the spring planting. Here's me over here with fingers crossed!! I'm even got my muslin cloth out and made me some frost covers ... Just in case I need them because I REALLY want this experiment to work! 🤗

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wash your fruit with 1 cup of vinegar and a sink full of water for 15 minutes. Then rinse . Kills off the mold spores.
You can do berries the same. But let them air dry completely then put them in a air tight container. Will extend the freshness.

Ok I'll try that before I do the next batch. I washed them in a baking soda/vinegar solution but am pretty sure they did not soak that long. I'll time them next go round.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family eats a lot of salsa, melt your face salsa for me and a couple of my grownup kids and mild for the wimps ... I canned a lot of salsa and it will not make it to Christmas. I also canned a lot of tomatoes for recipes.
Still have all 5 plants putting out tomatoes but it has slowed way down to the point we just eat them in salads and pass em out to the kids.
I think I could handle your salsa. I had ketchup on a taco the other day and barely, and I mean barely, broke a sweat.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have not canned in years, well ”she“ in honestly! But I helped some, carrying in the jars! LOL!

The home I am remodeling now is going to be used by 3 female older kinfolks to live out their life in. All three of them lived by canning and still wants to, as my wife does as well. So we are installing a Cook Oven in the corner of the big covered back porch, so they can cook, blanch, can and bake outside to keep the heat out of the house. I moved the A/C unit to other side of the home and re utilized the 220 50amp plug for the Oven to go there. A super nice fellow member here helped me with the electric!

We have had a couple other homes that I put an oven under a back covered porch. It sure helps at Holiday Cooking and really helps blanching corn/canning in the middle of the hot summer!

One of my wife’s friends sent me this a couple days ago! Cause she knows I hate the canning ****!

IMG_7872.jpeg

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok the ginger worked out GREAT! Might use a smaller garlic clove next time as the whole house STILL smells like garlic. When I get done with all the maters (I STILL have a sink full, with another bowl on the counter and I STILL need to go pick again ... And I only have 2 plants this year!! 😲 I'll post some pics.
House smelling of garlic is a feature, not a bug! I have said for decades that you cannot have too much garlic, and it will mix with just about anything. Except maybe cinnamon or chocolate. Then one day SWMBO made spaghetti sauce, and put both chocolate and cinnamon in it. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
House smelling of garlic is a feature, not a bug! I have said for decades that you cannot have too much garlic, and it will mix with just about anything. Except maybe cinnamon or chocolate. Then one day SWMBO made spaghetti sauce, and put both chocolate and cinnamon in it. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!

WHATTTTTTT? Chocolate and Cinnamon in Spaghetti Sauce?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WHATTTTTTT? Chocolate and Cinnamon in Spaghetti Sauce?
Yep. Sounds weird as hell. At first. Tastes really good though. Don't us a lot of either one. I think she used about a teaspoon in a 16 quart canner, on the cinnamon, and maybe a quarter cup of Bakers bittersweet chocolate. Any dark chocolate will work. You can't actually taste either of them, but it punches up all the flavors. We use several pounds of mild Italian sausage, lots of garlic. All the juice from a jar of pickles, a couple hands full of other spices. Fill a bunch of quart bags and freeze them. Makes meals really easy when you're stretched for time. And did I mention it's really good? :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom