Did someone die at Banner Road gun range?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First time in 10 years I've seen Harry patrol the firing line. I made the mistake of using a Pelican case to carry two rifles. To get them to fit in the case, I have them facing opposite directions. Both rifles have no mag, empty chamber showing, bolt locked back, and are clearly on safe. As soon as I open the case, he yells at me for not having both rifles pointing downrange. I apologize but he sent me packing and kicked me out of the range. Meanwhile people are entering and leaving the range with guns slung over their shoulders with the barrels clearly not facing down range.
I ended up having to remove the stock and buffer tube from an AR to comply since he refused to let me just close the case and leave.
I get it; his range, his rules. But am I wrong in thinking this is ridiculous? I felt bad for my friends who were also made to leave.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy got shot shot in the thigh a few weeks back. Had to medi-flight the guy. Guess he's watching things closer now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a dickhead move by the guy. There are ways to safely get that muzzle facing forward. No need to rush, just carefully lift it up and carefully raise it up and over 180* while changing your body position with your feet now facing downrange.

I'd have demanded a refund and never, ever darkened their door again.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to criticize you or him. The liability he has, now more than ever, is enough to close "all those ranges" if he "and all those ranges" don't apply a no exception rule.
You knew the rules perhaps you should give him a pass. Might ask what his insurance carrier told him he must do and what his premiums have gone to.

Blakew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The range officer was out of line! i wouldnt have left without a refund! I wouldnt have made an effort to appease him by disassembling the ar just to leave! What a doosh. He probably felt threatend by something you said or did that was irrelevant.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to criticize you or him. The liability he has, now more than ever, is enough to close "all those ranges" if he "and all those ranges" don't apply a no exception rule.
You knew the rules perhaps you should give him a pass. Might ask what his insurance carrier told him he must do and what his premiums have gone to.

But I think he should have refunded my friends at least.
I had everything pointed down range except for my guns in my gun case when I first opened it. I even had the bolt locked open, gun on safe, and no magazine in the case. Most don't even lock their bolts open before going to the house! Nobody was even behind me when I opened the case. I feel I should have at least received a warning.
What's next? Everyone pull out their concealed carry guns, empty them, and point them down range?

There's gun range safety and then there's just ridiculous BS. Glad to know I'm not out of line here. I took one of my guns apart to fit into my case so all the barrels were pointing downrange. He refused to refund any money so I wished him a great weekend and left with my friends. But I doubt I'll ever be going back there.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you I damn sure wouldn't have been disassembling my property just in order to leave. That ain't happening, but I agree, I would never go back.

If you have your gun in a case, how are you supposed to carry it? Must it ALWAYS be pointing muzzle downrange, even when walking the firing line INSIDE the case? Am I supposed to carry the case parallel with the shooting lanes, which would be crosswise across my body as I walk horizontally passing the other shooters? Oh... you mean with the muzzle (inside a closed and locked case) sweeping the backs of the other shooters as I pass? Or am I supposed to carry the case vertically with the muzzle pointing upwards, in a much less secure handhold than just using the damn handle? What if it is a rolling case and I am dragging it behind me? I have multiple pistols in my range bag, which is on wheels. Should I try to make sure each of those empty and cased pistols are all pointing at one end of the bag, then carry the heavy-ass bag with multiple firearms and many hundreds of rounds of ammo in my arms with that end pointing up???

Come on, *********....

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree he may have used restraint and even refunded/rain checked your group but, (and not to make this a web war) everyone has to follow the rules at the range. You may be the best and safest gun guy on the planet, but if I'm next to you I don't know that and I don't care. Accidental shooting are all done with the "I thought it was unloaded or, one in a million chance of that happening"
Just follow the rules.
Now everyone can just fire away at me. I'd rather you do it here than accidentally at the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom