Did someone die at Banner Road gun range?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a question...while he was making a scene...what did you do with the rifle?
Did you disassemble it with it facing backwards, or did you correct it (face down range), thus no longer being an issue while he continued to be a tool?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obviously didn't learn gun handling in the Marine Corps. Yelling works just fine. In fact, you can't get the attention of some people without it. It may be unnecessary for some folks, but others probably need it. People need to quit being butthurt by any little thing and acting like fragile flowers. They just had a shooting at this range, so i am sure nerves are frayed. I would go in playing it very, very safe and watching my p's and q's above and beyond normal. Who knows what kind of pressure the range in under after that current mishap? Why not try to help instead of being a victim?

This is utter BS. Completely. IDGAS if it's "needed" or "effective" in the GD Marine Corps. This ain't the Marine Corps, Jack. It's a local civilian range. You come up to me screaming in my face like I'm some kind of pimple-faced boot camp matriculate, we're going to have a problem. I'm not your GD kid, and I'm not being treated like that and blowing it off as "the owner is stressed, give him a break". Screw that. Treat people like people, and have reasonable expectations. Period. I'm sorry, but throwing a screamin' meemee shitfit because someone's cased rifle is facing the wrong way is ridiculous. And making someone physically disassemble their firearm before being "allowed" to depart the range???? Sorry, but if you're going to demand that kind of ********, you're going to have to physically restrain me from packing my **** up as I see fit and walking away - and we'll see who gets charged over that incident, hmmm?

Bottom line, doesn't matter if you're trying to increase security or safety, this jackwagon "range officer" as described sounds more to me like someone who needs a crash course in how to talk to a grown-ass man in a civil manner, as well as a course in reasonable expectations. Welcome to the site, but I'm telling you, if you think it's ok to yell and scream at me on the range to take out your own frustration, we're gonna have problems, so maybe you need to go back to the corps, where it sounds like that kind of attitude is acceptable - in a civil society, it's not. Sorry. Not at all.

Johnson184

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put 'em back in the way you brought them in...whats he gonna do...kick you out?
To hell with taking the gun apart, thats crazy talk.
Once you had that buffer tube off you should have deposited it in his backside.

Hahaha, I was worried he'd ban my friends from coming back. I already knew I'd probably never go back there.

Johnson184 that is a long ways from Tulsa.
I assume you were here with buddies.

I have shot there many times in the last 7 years never any issues like that.. he must have got dinked pretty bad.

Here is a thought that will greatly help you out.
You have multiple friends shooting and Banner is $10 a head to shoot.
If you have a valid OK hunting or fishing license or a wildlife passport you can shoot for free at Lexington gun range.
I go there very often.. the range is patrolled much more often and the ranger will check license .

They are keeping it very clean and new rules are taking effect
Only clay and paper targets or target stuff.. no more TV sets etc.. I like it ..

You all can save money going there instead of the 10 a head to Harry.

Awesome! Thanks for that tip! I just moved from Tulsa back to the OKC area. I normally shoot at H&H, but we wanted to zero some rifles at 50 and 100 yards. A buddy of mine has a lot of land not too far away so once we get a laser rangefinder, we should be good! Any restrictions at Lexington? Banner Road gun range limited us to 1 shot a second lol.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You obviously didn't learn gun handling in the Marine Corps. Yelling works just fine. In fact, you can't get the attention of some people without it. It may be unnecessary for some folks, but others probably need it. People need to quit being butthurt by any little thing and acting like fragile flowers. They just had a shooting at this range, so i am sure nerves are frayed. I would go in playing it very, very safe and watching my p's and q's above and beyond normal. Who knows what kind of pressure the range in under after that current mishap? Why not try to help instead of being a victim?

I'm not a victim and far from being butthurt. It's obvious to me that you have never had the pleasure of "teaching". In the real world you don't have the luxury of giving orders to recruits that MUST follow them because you said so. The general populace (paying customers in this case) doesn't respond blindly because you (Drill Sergeant) gave an order. I on the other hand do this on a frequent basis as an instructor and have been doing so for 25 years in the civilian world, AKA the real world and have learned the most effective techniques to instruct and correct those who pay me to train them.

One thing you must remember from your boot camp experience, the mission for the DI was different. His job was to tear you down mentally and physically then rebuild you as a Marine who knew how to follow orders and how react in high stress situations. He also had several weeks to accomplish that and just MAYBE keep you from being killed in battle. Your experience changed who you are and the way you look at the world. Some of us re-learn when we exit military service and can re-integrate into a non-military society. Others do not.

As to the owner, it is his choice to be in the business and in order to stay in the business he requires either a substantial private bank roll to foot the bills or paying customers who enjoy doing BUSINESS with him and the consequential experience they have in his establishment. If you agree with his method of treatment then by all means haul on over there and enjoy him getting in your face. Maybe you miss that? I personally would not stand for it nor would I treat my customers that way but as stated...if you enjoy it by all means go get you some.

This is my opinion and mine alone. Yours is obviously different and that's OK. Last I checked that difference is why we chose to put on a uniform and swore to protect the Constitution that allowed for those differences.

Thank you for your service!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Interesting 1st post. Welcome to the forum.

devildog93

New to the site!
Reaction score
I am not saying people need to be treated like they were in boot camp. I realize we are talking about two completely different environments. What gets me more than anything is the lack of control at most of the ranges. Range officer - really? What is he policing? Is he offering a hand to new people so they don't do something stupid? At most ranges it seems like no one is policing the firing line at all or offering a hand. As to someone yelling....well had someone been watching closer(like actually on the line watching), then perhaps when a person points a gun at someone else on the range they could be intercepted and , yes, yelled at to get their attention and have them point it down range. That is an instance where yelling might have to be used.

We got one side of the story where a guy is carrying two rifles in one case and if it went down like it was told then yes the owner went a bit over the top. That being said, anyone can pull the bolts out of a m-16/ar-15 without too much of a problem, so 2 bolts in the pockets...done deal. It seems like they could have de-escalated things without making a 3rd degree scene.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got one side of the story where a guy is carrying two rifles in one case and if it went down like it was told then yes the owner went a bit over the top. That being said, anyone can pull the bolts out of a m-16/ar-15 without too much of a problem, so 2 bolts in the pockets...done deal. It seems like they could have de-escalated things without making a 3rd degree scene.

He didn't make him break it down from the takedown and pivot pins.... he made him actually remove the castle nut and buffer tube and stock. Eff that, man... all those little parts? We're talking castle nut, buffer tube, stock, endplate, detent and spring for the takedown pin, buffer retainer and buffer retainer spring... not a chance.

I ended up having to remove the stock and buffer tube from an AR to comply since he refused to let me just close the case and leave.

Sorry... there would have been a problem if he REFUSED TO MET ME CLOSE THE CASE AND LEAVE. This guy is a total ********* all the way around. Period. NOBODY is going to be disassembling my rifles, NOR are they going to be holding me against my will when I have done nothing wrong. Period. Keep trying to minimize it all you like, but your post said it was ok, and the bottom line is, it WASN'T.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 thoughts

1) what do you do if the castle nut is staked, can't pull it in the field.

2) what happens in situations with say a pistol bag, I have some that you can't tell which way from which until they are unzipped.

I go to banner frequently and never have had issues like that and I also think my rifle bag makes me stagger them like that so I don't know.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when you walk away you have to turn the rifle bag around to keep them pointed down range behind you, since you're walking the other way? I wouldn't have even started to comply with that joker. Just walk away. As long as both receivers were pointing the same way, then that is the "firearm" according to ATF.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if a man starts yelling and screaming at me he is as likely to find himself on his ass in the dirt as not regardless of the situation. a I'll be god damned if I'm gonna do any thing but leave the same way I came in

Latest posts

Top Bottom